Convert Tape Deck To Ipod Dock?

I have an '07 RX and a 1st gen iPod touch. Currently I don't have any sort of iPod input for my vehicle. I make due by burning various CDs with MP3s so I can play and have fun. But as I was sitting there today waiting for the wife to finish in a store I looked at my touch and super-useless tape deck. I picked up the ipod and literally inserted it into the tape deck and it was a really good fit and so I thought to myself: "what if I could hack my tape deck to allow me to insert my ipod, dock it, and use the steering wheel controls to use it" I thought this would be a wicked cool solution and fun pet project.

I turned here first to see what others think. I haven't taken the dash apart to install an ipod kit or anything. I am very crafty and such, but was wondering if anyone else had the same idea or similar. Am I just insane or am I onto something? Has anyone does anything like this that they can share their experiences here. Thanks everyone.

I have an '07 RX and a 1st gen iPod touch. Currently I don't have any sort of iPod input for my vehicle. I make due by burning various CDs with MP3s so I can play and have fun. But as I was sitting there today waiting for the wife to finish in a store I looked at my touch and super-useless tape deck. I picked up the ipod and literally inserted it into the tape deck and it was a really good fit and so I thought to myself: "what if I could hack my tape deck to allow me to insert my ipod, dock it, and use the steering wheel controls to use it" I thought this would be a wicked cool solution and fun pet project.

I turned here first to see what others think. I haven't taken the dash apart to install an ipod kit or anything. I am very crafty and such, but was wondering if anyone else had the same idea or similar. Am I just insane or am I onto something? Has anyone does anything like this that they can share their experiences here. Thanks everyone.

I am new here & this is my 1st contribution, so here goes...

I have an 08 RX350. I have installed an aftermarket kit for my iPod touch & added a receiver (converter?) for HD radio.

I did not *modify* my tape player (Yes, I still have a few cassettes :rolleyes: ) The end result is the ability to select the

HD radio & iPod via the AM-SAT button. For HD radio I can do all the standard functions you would expect, including

selecting the 2nd channelIF the station is broadcasting one. There is good not great iPod controls. And of course all volume

is controled in the normal fashion. The system does remember what you were listening to the next time you start the vehicle.

I found my *magic* toys at crutchfield. http://www.crutchfield.com Lots of toys there. Mine has been installed for

over a year (so I have tossed the paperwork) & couldn't tell you which modules I purchased. There were 2, one for the

iPod & one for the HD radio, also a vehicle specific cable was required. Installation is plug & play (for the most part).

I had to cut a wire on the new cable & solder it to another on the same cable.

Their instructions are excelent. Startign with removal of the trim pannels right through plugging things in.

One recomendation. If you don't already have panel removal tools -- go buy some. You will save yourself much grief

over a scratched panel. Harbor Freight has some for ~$5.00 http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Disp...temnumber=95214

They worked well for me.

Regards, Hank