'04 Es330 : Two Headlight Questions

Hello, I'm a new owner of a 2004 ES330 and this is my first post here on the forum.

Sorry, I tried searching and already read the FAQ but I could not find what I am looking for.

I really want to replace my stock halogens headlights and I have two questions:

1. What bulb, can I replace my yellow halogen corner parking headlight with, is there an LED that will fit?

2. The 2004 headlights looks to be the same shape as the 05-06 headlights with the projectors. Can I swap these out, or is there mounting modifications required?

Thanks

Marshall2k,

I've delved into the LED light issue with one of the cars I own, and I've had some experience with a past Lexus model that may or may not put some credence to what I have to share with you.

First LED's don't draw very much current at all, not like a standard or halogen bulb. In the case of the car I was going to switch over to LED tail light/turn signals, the LED manufacturer advised the addition of either another standard bulb be placed in the same circuit out of sight in the trunk, or the addition of a resistor (they sold them as well) added to the circuit, in order to make the flasher recognize the current draw and trigger the flash. This being said, the car in question was a 1955 Ford Thunderbird (a 6 volt system), and this may or may not apply in the case of your 04 ES. I'm suggesting that your flasher may not work with LED bulbs.

Second, and this was on one of my first ES's (a 97), a bad bulb socket on one front turn signal bulb caused both front and rear bulbs on that side of the car to flash at three times the normal flashing rate, due to the changed resistance in the circuit. Again, the addition of LED bulbs may cause you flasher rate problems.

If you do decide to go ahead and install the LED's anyway, please get back to us with your results. I'm sure many here will be interested.

As for the headlight replacement, yes, the headlights should fit from any of those years, and will fasten in the same manner. The only hangup may be the circuitry. If the new lamps use a different bulb, you'll need to get new bulb sockets. As well, there may be some problems with current draw, if there is a wide difference in the bulb's wattage compared to what you have in your car now.

In both cases, I would suggest that you talk to a good service tech who knows these cars electrical systems, before you buy bulbs or headlamps that you may not be able to return if they don't work out. Good Luck!

Thanks for the feedback. The bulb I wanted to replace is the parking light bulb in the upper corner, not the turn signal.

What I wish I could find would be how to swap out the '04 headlights with '05-'06 headlights and connect/splice the HID low-beams.

I cant find a write up about it.