Advice On Shocks And Lowering Springs

I just scored a set of 18" LS430 chrome wheels/tires from craigslist and promptly placed them on my 97 LS400. I'm now thinking that lowering the car an inch or two would improve the appearance.

I found Tanabe lowering springs on ebay for $248 and KYB shocks for $324. I also found someone to install the springs OR shocks and springs for about $200.

Now I'm not really sure whether my shocks need to be replaced (mileage 129,000), but since the labor is the same with or without installation of shocks, should I have them replaced already?

My questions:

1. When do shocks generally need to be replaced?

2. Do you think I need the car lowered? How does the lowering of the car affect its driving characteristics?

3. Are the shocks and springs brands I mentioned good ones?

4. Any comments about the price for the parts and the installation?

Thanks.

post-79564-1239470594_thumb.jpg

post-79564-1239470631_thumb.jpg

YES your shocks need changed.

Those are great prices dude I'd buy ASAP.

Those wheels are HOT! I want to get some for my 97!

The Tanabe DF210's are great springs IMO. They lower almost 2" and keep a VERY close to stock, smooth ride. The shocks you are looking at should be KYB GR2's

The Tanabe's are not the right springs if you are looking for a stiff sporty feeling. If that's your goal then I'd go for the H&R's.

But if you just want the lowered look, than Tanabe's are amazing ;)

YES your shocks need changed.

Those are great prices dude I'd buy ASAP.

Those wheels are HOT! I want to get some for my 97!

The Tanabe DF210's are great springs IMO. They lower almost 2" and keep a VERY close to stock, smooth ride. The shocks you are looking at should be KYB GR2's

The Tanabe's are not the right springs if you are looking for a stiff sporty feeling. If that's your goal then I'd go for the H&R's.

But if you just want the lowered look, than Tanabe's are amazing ;)

Thanks. I want to keep the ride as smooth and as close to stock as possible. So the Tanabes should work well.

I went to O'Reilly Auto Parts this morning and inquired about their available shocks and lowering springs for the ls400. The guy gave me a solicited discourse on why I should not consider lowering the car as it would adversely affect the rest of the suspension system, etc. He essentially said that the car is designed the way it is for a very good reason and lowering the car would alter THAT very good reason. Oh and they carry Monroe shocks.

Wow what a !Removed!.

Lowering a car only IMPROVES it. MPG (aerodynamics), HP (less power lost in moving the susp. and more to the wheels), Handling, aesthetics.

"Autozone" people generally don't know anything. lol.

Buy your springs from Luxurymods.com $239.99

http://luxurymods.com/index.asp?PageAction...mp;Category=198

REMEMBER TO GET AN ALIGNMENT AFTER ITS LOWERED!!