Ca 1993 Ls400 Smog Irritation

ryostyle

I am having a problem smogging my 93 LS400. Here in CA they put me on the roller and sniffer and that was fine. Passed that easily. Then they turn around and fail me and say that I'm missing an Air Pump or that they can't find it. They pull an ALLData print out and say there it is, see......its missing. I'm insisting that the air pump isn't visible to them and is tucked away and not sitting on the surface of the motor. They're insisting that it is just plain missing and fail me. My question is, is an Air Pump (smog pump) visible on a 93 CA spec'd LS400??? If so, can anyone show me a picture of where theres is? I'd really appreciate the help. I've pretty much made up my mind that it is hidden away and there is a skinny 1" pipe connected to it that comes up in an L shap and connects to a hose that connects to the intake tract. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thank you in advance!!!

Well if you had air suspension, it would have an air pump, but it's not part of the emission system. The guys at the test center are dolts.

Click on number 16 in this diagram:

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/g_U_1991_LEXU...L-AEPGKA_1.html

Is part number 17600B what they're looking for?

Yes thats the part they're looking for, and I'm insisting that that part isn't visible. I can clearly see the intake portion of it as well as the manifold injection. The pump is what they are insisting they need to see, in order to pass smog. I think this is stupid, because if my motor was encased in plastic with the normal intake shrouds, they'd see even less motor than they do now. Needless to say I'm highly *BLEEP*ed off. I need to register my car by Wednsday due to a registration violation ticket. I'm only missing smog compliance at this point.

So this pump is not supposed to be visible right? I can feel the pump kick on in the morning when the car starts and there is suction from the feed hose, so I know the pump is there and functioning. Even the smog shop says "oh geeee....if it were missing you should be getting a CEL, but we can see that you aren't. But since we don't see the pump, you fail...."

It seems the California models of the early LS have an air injection system - adds air to the exhaust gases to continue combustion and lower emissions. I stand corrected - nothing like that in Canadian cars.

So if you don't have the air pump, they'll fail you on the visual. Just like in Canada.