91 Es250 Radio Removal

BLKes250

I need to replace the factory radio/cassette/CD player and need to know how to get the old unit out. Does the plastic woodgrain trim around the unit and HVAC pry out? Any tricks to avoid damaging the trim pcs would be appreciated.

I need to replace the factory radio/cassette/CD player and need to know how to get the old unit out. Does the plastic woodgrain trim around the unit and HVAC pry out? Any tricks to avoid damaging the trim pcs would be appreciated.

Es250 resident expert here!

Take a flathead screwdriver and pry evenly all the way around it. it will come off. dont break the clips that hold it in or you will be mad. that piece of trim is $100 at the dealer. It is REAL wood and you can break it.

Es250 resident expert here!

Take a flathead screwdriver and pry evenly all the way around it. it will come off. dont break the clips that hold it in or you will be mad. that piece of trim is $100 at the dealer. It is REAL wood and you can break it.

Wow, real wood uh! Looks very recessed and hard to get behind it. My daughter drove the car for a couple years and bought and new car, so I have decided to keep it and fix it up. It drives nice and has some minor things that need attention. The CD player stopped working and also the rear speakers stopped working. Front speakers work fine. Do you think its the in-dash unit that is bad for the rear speakers or possibly are they run by a separate amp? I have a replacement factory radio/cassette/CD player from ebay and thought that will take care of it.

• 5 weeks later...

I removed the wood trim by opening the cup holders partially near the bottom of the trim so I could get my fingers behind the trim, then pulled approximately 1/4" so that I could get a flathead screwdriver behind the trim further up around the radio opening. Pried around the radio opening periphery until the trim disengaged from all the clips. Had to pull perfectly straight at the top near the vent trim to get it to come out.