Gotta Do Fan Bracket?

The Kid

Okay, I noticed a lotta people as of late having the problem with the fan bracket and I did too last week.

my mechanic said its a lotta work to change it, they have to take out most of the parts that they would if I was doing a timing belt, and water pump change.

my mechanic is like family though, so he said he would change the bracket

for 425 which is half of what he would normally charge a regular customer

so i said hey, throw in a timing belt and water pump while your at it...

he said no labor costs for that job because he's already in there.

then i said hey what about a tune up? he said just pay me for the parts but dont worry about labor.

so heres a break down

425 for the bracket job (112 for the fan bracket itself or "water pump bracket") 313 for labor

and 65 for the belt and 127 for the pump (normally 500 + job w/ labor)

315 for tune up parts (normally 450 with labor)

932 for that WHOLE JOB!

im basically only paying 313 for labor for the whole works

BUT what im trying to tell every one, is if you have to do your fan bracket, and I see a lotta people having to do those as of late, change out the timing belt and pump too if needed. it will save a LOTTA money for labor costs

you may not get off as easy as me, but it would definitely cut some costs

Good advice!

I just wish the PO of my car had of known this (about the bracket bearings going bad) when they had the t-belt and water pump done @ 21K miles ago. The car had 200K when I bought.. the PO had these changed at 196K at a Lexus dealer for a whopping $1500!

THEN.... as you know I had this fan bracket bearing go out this month. I had no idea at the time that this was a seperate piece. I thought it was the water pump that had went out, then I learned that it was likely not the pump out at 21K and it was the bracket bearing. I was wondering if this was normally a part that was replaced when they did the t-belt, but the Lexus dealer said no. Seems like it would be, especially at every other belt change around 180K-200K. I was also amazed that the bracket was going to cost me $258 @ the dealer, but I found a Lexus new part online for $155, which is still more costly than the water pump at that same place.

SO... I am getting the labor done (by the father of one of my friends thats a Toyota tech). He is going to do it for $120 (labor) and part is $166 with shipping... so right around $300. Since the t-belt/water pump only has 21K, I guess it would be foolish to change it now. ??? Toyota guy said he wouldnt do them since they only have 21K on them. I am at a crossroads though... I wonder if I should do it. I keep thinking what if the PO lied about the water pump being replaced. I know the belt was, its on the sticker under the hood that Toyota puts under the hood.... but no record of the water pump being changed. I am hoping since it was changed at 196K, that they did do the pump this time too. Since it was done at the dealer, could any Lexus dealer look on the computer to verify if the pump was also changed? TBH, I cannot afford the water pump too. :( This car has costed me a fortune in parts/repairs - sad part is that the are all minor things, but wow, so costly.

Thanks.