Windshield Washer Motor Not Getting Power

Jeff Buch

My 1993 ES300 has a problem with the windshield washer motor. When I connect the motor directly to power it works fine so I assume my problem is in the wiper switch or relay. Any thoughts? The switch is easy enough to find in the steering column. Not sure how to locate or test the relay. Thanks for your help!

Jeff,

The washer motor may not draw enough amps to require a relay. This is just a guess, not a for sure. If you can find a relay listed for this system in the fuse and relay chart of your owner's manual, its easy enough to just swap the relay with an identical same coloured relay from somewhere else in the fuse /relay block. That will tell you if the relay is bad.

Typically, though, the problem is a corroded connector right at the pump motor. If that doesn't apply in your case, you'll have no option but to pull the upper and lower covers from the steering column to access the combination switch that operates the wipers. Once you do, you might try spraying some electrical contact cleaner right into the openings of the switch base and cycle the switch several times. Do this with the ignition off, and then wait 5 minutes for the fluid to evaporate before trying it. After a couple attempts at this method, if its still a no go, you'll be off to a wrecker to get a used switch assembly.

Hint: if you have to go this route, once you have the switch assembly loose from the steering column and have disconnected its wiring connector to the main dash harness under the dash, tie a heavy cord to the wiring at the connector before you pull the switch and its harness up through the steering column. That way you'll be able to tie the cord onto the connector of your new switch and use the cord to pull the harness back through the steering column without jamming up.

Good Luck!

Thank you very much for the reply. My electrical connections look good and I verified I'm not getting current to the washer motor.

I just pulled the steering column apart and I'm pretty confident its a bad switch as I can get the washer motor to operate by bypassing the switch. I just checked eBay and it looks like the windshield washer switch is sold as part of a larger asembly including the headlight and turn signal switch as well. I was hoping I could simply purchase the washer switch. I will update this post once I swap out the switch.