A Howl Coming Somewhere Out Of Differential

Hi,

Recently I've encountered such a problem: while speeding up and driving around 30 miles per hour a constant howling sound was comming out somewhere from the differential. When accelerating further it stopped but approaching 50 miles per hour it happened the same. Driving over 55 miles per hour it stopped again. We have now winter in Europe and the car was standing outside at a temperature of minus 3 Celsius degrees. Could the low temperature have some influence?

The situation happened all the evening yesterday and today's morning and after some drifting on the slippery road, strangely as it started, everything seems to be normal now. However, the situation may happen again, what then, shall I check the differential or something?

Can you please tell me what it could be??

Thanks in advance.

Howling from the rear usually means something wrong with rear, but you could try rotating tires and make sure you don't have a bad tire first. Changing rear gear fluid certainly will not hurt. It gets pretty cold there looks like, so use of some full synthetic would do good. When draining fluid, and maybe you want to drain just a little anyway to check, see if the fluid looks like metallic swirly stuff. If so, something is wearing out. Putting synthetic in there though may help you last a bit longer even so.

Thank you for suggestions mlgs300

The tyres are certainly fine.

I didn't inspect gear fluid yet, could it be that there is not enough fluid and after some drifting everything got smeared and howling stopped???

I checked the fluid level and it is ok and the fluid is clear, no metallic stuff in it.

What else? I thought it could be a broken bearing but the sound is different.

I've managed to record the howling sound with my mobile, you can hear it under link below

http://rapidshare.com/files/179695623/Nagranie__44_.wav.html

maybe this will help a bit

remembering back to an experience with a school bus rear open diff. Howling noise came and went for a good while. Then it stayed. Then popping noise finally like a motor backfiring. Took it apart & found a carrier bearing fell apart. Guess it howled a bit before giving up.

remembering back to an experience with a school bus rear open diff. Howling noise came and went for a good while. Then it stayed. Then popping noise finally like a motor backfiring. Took it apart & found a carrier bearing fell apart. Guess it howled a bit before giving up.

least u found out what it is! did u get a text message at the end of that wav file?

least u found out what it is! did u get a text message at the end of that wav file?

It was a call :D

Now seriously, the fluid ATF TIV is changed so at least I have clear conscience.

I found another strange thing, when I drive a bit and the motor, differential, etc gets heated the sound disappears completely.