Timing Belt And Water Pump Question

chatanp

In a 1997 ES300, when replacing the timing belt and water pump for the first time, is it absolutely necessary to use the 'timing belt kit'?

I guess the kit includes things like tension rods, etc...

A Toyota dealer told me you would just wait until the second change, whereas the Lexus dealer (and independent shops) do it the first time around.

Any help would be appreciated.

I think it would be a good idea to use the timing belt kit anytime your doing a timing belt and water pump job because once its all open, you might as well just replace some parts like tension rods etc. because its a big job and you wouldn't want to open everything up again if you did find out that a bearing or something was noisy and worn because its a :censored: to open up again. imo

I think it would be a good idea to use the timing belt kit anytime your doing a timing belt and water pump job because once its all open, you might as well just replace some parts like tension rods etc. because its a big job and you wouldn't want to open everything up again if you did find out that a bearing or something was noisy and worn because its a :censored: to open up again. imo

That is very true. I've seen a lot of Es300 water leaks. So while you are in there go ahead and replace the pump as well. Look like the toyota guy trying to make money off you.

www.jpimportz.org

Thanks guys for the info.

I guess preventative maintenance at a one time $800 cost is better than a monthly $500+ new car payment.

I'll be sure to get the kit work done as well.

Would you all also recommend having the 2 hoses, thermostat, and gasket changed?

Thanks agian!

-cp