Hi Im New

willomoto

Hi everyone im new to this board and im not really the owner of a lexus. My sister owns a 2000 Rx300 and it's time for her car to get a tuneup or so says the dealership. They are charging about $700 for maintaining the rx. I was gonna try and tune up the rx since I used to do it on my old civic hatch before. But I feel changing plugs on the Rx and whatever else needs to be done will be more of a challenge than my 4 banger honda. So is there a good diy for changing spark plugs and other stuff needed for the RX300? Also how much oil and what good oil filters should be used? Also one last thing if I cant step up to the challenge of working on my sisters car does anyone know a good, reliable, non !Removed! raping mechanic or shop in the Fort Worth area? Thank you very much for the info and help...

Welcome!

You'll find all the info you seek by doing a few searches in this forum but I'll be happy to summarize my opinions on the subjects you mention. The spark plugs don't need changing very often, but if they're original in the 00 you're working on then they might.

As you've probably assessed yourself, the front three are fairly easy while the back three are best accessed by hiring a contortionist. Seriously though, they can be done but it takes patience and several socket extensions and universal joints (for the extensions).

As for oil, there are a number of choices but whatever you do definitely go full synthetic. The 00 has a sludge prone engine and the best way to avoid it is to use full-syn and do regular changes. I change mine every 4k miles and use Mobil 1 with a Mobil 1 filter. Amsoil is probably the best oil but its hard (for me) to find other than online and is more expensive. Some folks Like Pennzoil platinum as well as or the european made Castrol Syntec (also hard to find). I find mine takes about 4.25-4.5 qts.

Welcome!

You'll find all the info you seek by doing a few searches in this forum but I'll be happy to summarize my opinions on the subjects you mention. The spark plugs don't need changing very often, but if they're original in the 00 you're working on then they might.

As you've probably assessed yourself, the front three are fairly easy while the back three are best accessed by hiring a contortionist. Seriously though, they can be done but it takes patience and several socket extensions and universal joints (for the extensions).

As for oil, there are a number of choices but whatever you do definitely go full synthetic. The 00 has a sludge prone engine and the best way to avoid it is to use full-syn and do regular changes. I change mine every 4k miles and use Mobil 1 with a Mobil 1 filter. Amsoil is probably the best oil but its hard (for me) to find other than online and is more expensive. Some folks Like Pennzoil platinum as well as or the european made Castrol Syntec (also hard to find). I find mine takes about 4.25-4.5 qts.

Mine takes 5 1/2 quarts to bring level to the top line on the dipstick. 5 quarts brings it to mid-range between the two marks. This with a new filter, of course.