Engine Problem

Pambie

1996 Lexus ES300, one owner, bought in 2003 for $9,000 with approx. 80,000 miles.

This has been the best car that I have ever owned, relatively few repairs, etc. I put on a set of new tires, and had it inspected regularly along with regular oil changes. I have had the inspection & minor repairs taken care of by a local Exxon service center.

In March of 2008, the car was running sluggishly so I took it in & they removed the valve cover, cleaned old gasket material & replaced with new gaskets (cost $448.03); in January of 08 it had throttle bore service.

The car now has about $143,000 miles. Since having the gasket/valve work done, it seemed to go through a lot of oil and when I started the car it would emit a lot of smoke initially but ran fine otherwise. It passed inspection fine in May of 2008.

On 11/14 the car began running poorly and the check engine light came on. When I took it in, Exxon told me that the "test failed systems & sensors"; the gentleman told me that it was spraying oil into the engine and it was only a matter of time ("3 days or 3 months" ... he couldn't tell me). Said it would cost several thousand to rebuild the engine.

I am presently unemployed (was recently laid off) & do not have any funds to buy a new car. Any advice? Should I get a second opinion or is the car shot?

They cleaned the #2 spark plug & it is running fine right now.

Thanks!

Pambie,

A well treated Toyota engine shouldn't require a rebuild at 143 000 miles. The blue smoke at start up but not after sounds more like tired valve stem seals (cheap part but labour intensive to replace). What happens is that the seals allow oil to leak down the valve stems into the combustion chamber. It shows up at startup since the oil has had all night to leak down, but you don't often see the smoke while driving since very little gets by the seals when the engine is running. Given enough time the oil will foul the plugs, and the car runs rough. I'd really get a second opinion to actually narrow down where the oil is coming from, and then see if you can't find someone you trust to do the job within your wallet's ability. Good Luck!