Sc300 Brake Upgrade

TWS

Guys,

I'm a total newb to the Lexus brand, although I turn wrenches weekly on my 4th gen Camaros (hey, on a GM product you need to :lol:)

I thought my topic would be a common one, so I did a search but did not turn up much relevant information in previous threads.

We just purchased a '94 SC300 a couple months ago as a daily driver for my wife. The car is in excellent shape for its age with 82K miles, but I examined the pads and noticed it will need a brake job sometime fairly soon. Rather than turn the rotors and install new pads, I see it as an opportunity to upgrade! B)

We are not looking to go extreme or spend a lot of money. The car will not be track driven or anything close to that. I just noticed that the OEM brakes are not particularly impressive and people here in Austin drive like idiots. I'd like to give my wife a little additional stopping power/shorter braking distances. I have spoken to some of the Lexus and Supra guys at the local car meets and I gather that the LS400 brakes are bigger and better, while the Supra brakes are even bigger and better. If the LS400 pieces are an upgrade, that is probably the route we will go. Don't need to slam people through the windshield, just want a moderate upgrade in braking performance... and don't want to spend the extra $ for Supra parts.

Anyway, my questions are:

1. Are the LS400 brakes a decent upgrade?

2. If so, what vendor do board members recommend for buying a kit? (calipers, rotors, pads) Looking for quality parts, but a good value for the money is also a key consideration. If there is a policy against posting non-sponsors, please send me a PM.

3. I understand that the LS400 brakes will bolt right up on my SC300, true? We have larger 17" wheels, so I do not think clearance is an issue.

Thanks in advance!