Trunk Wiring Preventive Maintenance?

oldskewel

From the forums, I'm aware of all the problems the trunk wiring can cause. I have no symptoms right now. I'm guessing it will be better and easier to do something now (to loosen it up somehow?) as a preventive measure? Right? What should I do? I have a 1991 LS400.

Thanks, Ed

Props on doing preventive maintenance.:cheers:

Did mine last year. Peel back the plastic trim from the hinge groove. Unwrap the black tape. Inspect the wires for wear and cracks in the insulation. Make sure to inspect all the wires carefully. If you notice any cracks, you know they've been stressed. Treat them as you would broken wires. I bridged the wires with 4" pieces and crimped them because soldering is too much of a pain. After repairing, either leave the plastic trim hanging out of the groove or cut it off. I'm talking about the section right at the back of the hinge where the bend is severe. Then wrap them all up with some electrical tape or not, your call. If you tape it up too tight, could cause more probs. One thing to be aware of is once you leave the trim hanging/cut off, the wires will also hang from the hinge. When loading large/tall items in the trunk you have to make sure they don't catch on the harness.

Was thinking of do a mod with a flexing coiled assembly, but couldn't find one that had the required number of wires at the proper guage. I suppose you could use something like a bungie cord to lift them up when the trunk closes. I just left mine hanging and don't load anything in that area that might catch. on them. Not a big job but a little awkward having to work on your back inside the trunk. When the wife came out to the garage and saw my legs dangling out of the trunk she got a bit anxious. Forgot to tell her what I was up to. :D