Snows - Is250 Rwd On Factory Wheels Or Purchase New Wheels

gms1

Looking for some help deciding on winter tires. 2008 RWD model with 225/45-17 & 245/45-17. Read the threads about sizing & recommendations. Went out to 2 local dealers and became more confused. Dealers are pushing sets with 16" tires & wheels suggesting they provide better traction. Drawback is the pressure warning light will remain on. (Money is an issue and can't afford to buy a new set of TPMS gauges.)

Should I buy tires to put on the factory rims? (Usually keep a car 3 years) If so, do I need to get tires the same size? Can't figure out if I have an option for the sizes with factory rims.

As an option, went on craigslist and found blizzaks, dunlops, etc... some tires only, and some on rims. How can I tell if the rims would fit the lexus?

appreciate any help. live west of Boston in a snowbelt and always had awd cars with snows. this is the first rwd car in years and at a loss.

Thanks

you can get a set of wheels, tires and TPMS sensors from TireRack.com for much less than getting these individually.

TireRack carries the TPMS sensors that Lexus uses.

A 16" rim will be better than a 17" rim which is better than an 18" rim in the snow. Remember, the smaller the diameter, the skinnier the tire required. Skinny tires slice through the snow where as a wide tire will tend to plow through the snow.

steviej

Stevie - thanks for the advice. Just ordered 4 Dunlop Graspic 2's & wheels from Tirerack. Tempted to go with a higher performance snow tire, but decided to give up a smoother ride for improved snow performance. Been a while since I had a RWD and don't want to practice fishtailing...

(If it is a mild winter, I'll probably regret that decision.)

Gary