Hard To Start When Engine Is Cold

eskata

My '98 SC400 used to start fine. Recently when the engine is cold it will take a few cranks to get it started. The first 2-4 cranks sound just like that the car is out of battary. (but it has a new battary. )

When engine is hot, it takes only one crank to start.

Anyone has any ideas as to what might be the problem. It sounds like starter problem but I am not sure. The car has 72k miles.

I tried to find the part number for the contacts back when I had a problem with the starter. I found a part number and ordered it. They turned out to be just the poles as the actual contact points are a different part. No good. What I wound up doing was just to remove the bad starter - took it to a alternator/starter/electrical motor repair shop and had them do an overhaul on it. Wound up costing me 15$ and they gave me a lifetime limited warranty on their work. Pretty killer deal that I don't think can be found just anywhere but it is a good option. Problem is, on your V8, the damn starter is stuck under the intake manifold, so removing it - will be no walk in the park.

I don't know of any special rebuild kit - not they do not exist (especially as much as they wear out) but you can try contacting various dealers who will tell you that you need a new starter to the tune of 800$ or so.