Code Retrieval

joedaddy

hey first timer here , recently purchased 94 es 300 ck engine light came on soon after go figure, is it possible to pull the codes myself or what kind of scanner is needed to retrieve them. thanks hey found out the 94 is obd II compatible

hey first timer here , recently purchased 94 es 300 ck engine light came on soon after go figure, is it possible to pull the codes myself or what kind of scanner is needed to retrieve them. thanks hey found out the 94 is obd II compatible

YOu need a obd2 scanner. Yes it is obd2 compliant which is way earlier than most cars usually they have to be a 96 to be obd2 compliant. Dont worry this is a good thing. IF i remember the connector for the scanner is below the driver side of the dashboard, you can go to autozone and rent out their obd2 scanner. Post your codes read here and you can be helped. It could be simple to fix and sometimes serious. It could be just a disconnected 02 sensor or something. You need to know the codes first.

YOu need a obd2 scanner. Yes it is obd2 compliant which is way earlier than most cars usually they have to be a 96 to be obd2 compliant. Dont worry this is a good thing. IF i remember the connector for the scanner is below the driver side of the dashboard, you can go to autozone and rent out their obd2 scanner. Post your codes read here and you can be helped. It could be simple to fix and sometimes serious. It could be just a disconnected 02 sensor or something. You need to know the codes first.

How is this possible to be,I check under my 1994 es 300 and scanner wont fit,it looks like my scanner insert is more like a circle.is there something that I am doing wrong

It's not (that I know of). If you search some more on here, there are ways to get the ECU to give you the code. It's a method of jumping some pins to get the code to flash. I know there are a couple threads on here of how to do it, or Autozone or similar may have a device that reads OBDI.

It's not (that I know of). If you search some more on here, there are ways to get the ECU to give you the code. It's a method of jumping some pins to get the code to flash. I know there are a couple threads on here of how to do it, or Autozone or similar may have a device that reads OBDI.

I don't believe it is possible to get the DTC's with using a jumper wire on the '94. '93 and earlier that can process of code retrival be performed. The 94 ES300 is the first Lexus model to use the OBDII scanner. I haven't hooked one up on one of those in a while, but if I remember right, I think there is a trim piece on the drivers side of the dash that has to be removed to access the scan tool plug in. You must ahve an OBDII scan tool.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I did the OBD I 'jump' but could not get the CEL to flash. I rented an OBD II reader from Autozone and plugged it into the OBD II connector in the fuse panel underneath the dash and was able to retrieve codes. In this case, the P0135 which is the 1 bank 1 sensor O2 sensor. There are two of these sensors pre-cat, I'll be picking up a bosch part this week to do the replacement.

There are good links regarding the p0135 code and location of sensor on this site, just do a search.