Steering Wheel Shimmy

Don33

Lexi Fans,

I have a 2002 LS 430 with 80,000 miles and am the original owner/driver. I replaced the front brakes and had the rotors turned at 50,000. Recently I have begun to experience a slight shimmy in the steering wheel at low speed as I apply the brakes. This continues until stopped. At normal drive speeds, including freeway speeds, all feels very smooth and solid. The wheels were balanced 1,000 miles ago. The tires have about 10,000 miles and are Michelin Primacy. You thoughts?

I've never had great success with turning rotors. Better to just install new rotors and pads. If you DIY, it's cheap, and you'll notice a difference. I did it with my little MX-5 and my 94 LS, and they stop smooth like a bunny. BTW, the original owners of the car here in Vegas paid a bundle at the thieving dealer for brake redo's that lasted 20,000, then 30,000 miles. Ground the rotors each time, charged 600 bucks each time, and waited for the suckers to return.

Just my HO. Best of luck.

I've never had great success with turning rotors. Better to just install new rotors and pads. If you DIY, it's cheap, and you'll notice a difference. I did it with my little MX-5 and my 94 LS, and they stop smooth like a bunny. BTW, the original owners of the car here in Vegas paid a bundle at the thieving dealer for brake redo's that lasted 20,000, then 30,000 miles. Ground the rotors each time, charged 600 bucks each time, and waited for the suckers to return.

Thanks for the reply. I'll take it to the shop this week.

Thanks for the reply. I'll take it to the shop this week.

Hi, just a little tip? even with new parts if the wheels are over tightend the steering wheel will shimmy if you get new tires and the wheel are put on to tight they should be torqueted to 76foot pounds hope that helps