Thinking About Installing Remote Starter. Any Suggestion?

bluetrain

bluetrain,

In all of the years that I've owned automobiles I've only had one that came with a remote starter, and I doubt that I would have one installed in another car. Too much wasted fuel (at today's prices), too much unnecessary hydrocarbons (everybody's supposed to think green now, right?) Enough for the rant! Don't install one unless it requires a two step starting procedure, such as having to press the" lock door" button before pressing the "start engine" button. The unit that came with my car had only a one button start engine remote. I always kept my house/car keys in my pants pocket, and when I sat down to watch television, read a book, eat dinner, or put on my shoes, I would discover later that the keys had doubled over onto the remote, and that the car had started and was running in the garage. A two step remote would have eliminated that danger entirely.

bluetrain,

In all of the years that I've owned automobiles I've only had one that came with a remote starter, and I doubt that I would have one installed in another car. Too much wasted fuel (at today's prices), too much unnecessary hydrocarbons (everybody's supposed to think green now, right?) Enough for the rant!

I agree with your rant. And I'll add one more aspect to it. Letting a car sit idling for several minutes causes carbon deposits to build up in the engine which will result in performance problems. So, in addition to contributing to more air pollution, a remote starter is bad for your car's health. :(

Hi all,

I have 97 es300. I am thinking about installing remote starter before cold weather comes here, Boston.

Any recommendation, like brand, price, etc?

Is DIY possible?

I appreciate you for your kind advice..

Thanks, :rolleyes:

I have had lots of issues in the past with remote starts. (Ignition & computer issues). Within 1 year I had to disconnect it. I would NEVER install one in my IS250.