Washer Pump Motor Busted On '00 Rx300

ShirleySerious

With the winter season coming up, I'm concerned that the washer pump on my car is not functioning. When I go to squirt fluid, the wipers wipe, but no fluid comes out. The rear washer doesn't work either. I checked the washer fuse and it's fine, so I'm concerned that the pump itself is broken. I want to be able to replace it myself, but I don't know how to get to it. Anyone have any tips?

So, I'm guessing your fluid reservoir is topped off and full of wiper fluid, right? Have you checked your spray nozzles to ensure the openings are clear and clean? Lastly, when you go to squirt the fluid (with the engine off, but the key turned on, and in a nice quiet location), can you hear the fluid pump motor hum? If you hear nothing at all, then something is up with the pump (presuming it's getting power). If you do hear the pump motor engage, then you may have a kink or clog in your fluid line.

I have yet to look at mine, but it should be a very simple system... the reservoir is up by the front passenger side of the vehicle in the engine compartment. It seems you can access the reservoir through the plastic wheel well liner. Here's a full repair overview for the washer pump on a '99 model year: http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159628

So, I'm guessing your fluid reservoir is topped off and full of wiper fluid, right? Have you checked your spray nozzles to ensure the openings are clear and clean? Lastly, when you go to squirt the fluid (with the engine off, but the key turned on, and in a nice quiet location), can you hear the fluid pump motor hum? If you hear nothing at all, then something is up with the pump (presuming it's getting power). If you do hear the pump motor engage, then you may have a kink or clog in your fluid line.

I have yet to look at mine, but it should be a very simple system... the reservoir is up by the front passenger side of the vehicle in the engine compartment. It seems you can access the reservoir through the plastic wheel well liner. Here's a full repair overview for the washer pump on a '99 model year: http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=159628

I made sure it had fluid in it and I followed the instructions on the link. Unfortunately I couldn't tell if the motor was whirring or not due to the wiper motor, crickets, and other noise. I flushed it out with water, but I'm not sure where all the water went, since I put about 3 gallons in and it wasn't leaking out the bottom. I noticed when the motor is attached to the tank, water slowly pours out the nozzles.

UPDATE: I just went to the dealership and got the Highlander pump. Different part number but looks exactly the same. Too dark to install it now, so I'll try it tomorrow.

• 15 years later...