Panel Clips?

SupraMan

My driver door got caught on a low berm accidentally recently when I opened it. As I pulled it loose, the back end of the cladding popped ajar, leaving a slight annoying gap (on the trailing edge) between the trim panel and door. I guess a couple old plastic trim clips broke holding the cladding to the door on my 150k 96ES. Is it a simple fix to just pull the adrift panel off completely and replace broken clips? I've pulled interior door panels off before, and know it's a simple slide off broken clip/replace with new one. Just didn't want to jerk the panel off the lower door and find out 'now you did it!' with expen$ive damage. :angry:

Thanks in advance for any advice ... :rolleyes:

My driver door got caught on a low berm accidentally recently when I opened it. As I pulled it loose, the back end of the cladding popped ajar, leaving a slight annoying gap (on the trailing edge) between the trim panel and door. I guess a couple old plastic trim clips broke holding the cladding to the door on my 150k 96ES. Is it a simple fix to just pull the adrift panel off completely and replace broken clips? I've pulled interior door panels off before, and know it's a simple slide off broken clip/replace with new one. Just didn't want to jerk the panel off the lower door and find out 'now you did it!' with expen$ive damage. :angry:

Thanks in advance for any advice ... :rolleyes:

I would like advice on the same issue....

I just had my car, 98 Es300 worked on at the body shop because someone backed into me. After a month and a half of waiting I was so happy to take the car to the car wash and clean it up. Right after getting it washed I noticed the cladding (if that is the right word?) was crooked and as I tried to straighten it GENTLY, the whole thing came off. There are 4 slides behind the cladding and I noticed 3 out of the 4 slides were attached with HOT GLUE! There were 2 clips still in the door frame.

I'm leary..can this cladding stay together with just hot glue? I have had this car for about 4 years and haven't had any issues with the cladding before. <_<

I had some minor body work done last year to my '93 ES and the bodyshop discovered the same thing - Hot Glue! - behind one of the lower cladding panels. They removed the glue and ordered new clips from Lexus. I watched as they installed the new clips and reattached the panel. It seemed pretty easy to do. Now the panel is on securely and no more glue! :)

I too have the same problem with my 1996 ES 300 for the front door. The Lexux part department printed out the diagram of the door and outside panel (Cladding, is it?) that lists parts numbers, but not a description of the parts. Is there a internet source that describes these parts so that I can check it out from my computer at home.

There appears to be a double sided foam-like adhesive strip between it and the door itself. Is there a source with a pictures or diagams of the process of taking it off, replacing the clips, and then securing it again?

Thanks.