Es300, 1992 Instrument Cluster Intermittent Failure

I have a 1992 ES 300 with 50,000 original miles. The cluster lights went dark one day. I ran thru the fuses and found a burnt one replaced it, everything worked fine for a week or better. Then all went dark again I checked the passenger cabin fuses, all good. I then went under the hood and removed all the fuses in the two boxes on the driver side wheel well, all good. After that the tach, speed, fuel, temp, all were working. The Odometer is black. I tried each option and reset to no avail. I only have a Chilton manual which makes no mention at all of odometer. I don't know how exactly the digital readout is repaired?

If the failure is mechanical would the illumination still display. Is it a "backlight" type of illumination? I used a flashlight to examine, and realized that no readout as well as no illumination. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

I have a 1992 ES 300 with 50,000 original miles. The cluster lights went dark one day. I ran thru the fuses and found a burnt one replaced it, everything worked fine for a week or better. Then all went dark again I checked the passenger cabin fuses, all good. I then went under the hood and removed all the fuses in the two boxes on the driver side wheel well, all good. After that the tach, speed, fuel, temp, all were working. The Odometer is black. I tried each option and reset to no avail. I only have a Chilton manual which makes no mention at all of odometer. I don't know how exactly the digital readout is repaired?

If the failure is mechanical would the illumination still display. Is it a "backlight" type of illumination? I used a flashlight to examine, and realized that no readout as well as no illumination. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

I have a similar problem with my 1993 ES300. The odometer does not display. Some of the information I have found indicates it may be a failed battery backup for the odometer (in order to retain odometer/trip odometer information when the car is shut off). In any event, it seems that the instrument cluster will need to be removed in order to determine the exact nature of the problem. The local Toyota dealership quoted me ca. $450 to repair, assuming it is something they can fix.

If you search for "lexus, es300, instrument, display," you may find some information about removing the display. The Haynes manual for 1992-1996 Camry has comparable info.