Es 300 Sunroof

Hey,

I have a ES 300 and I just got home to realize my sunroof (which was open) would not close. After working with it I got it about half way but, that's it. I'm afraid to mess with it too much and make it worse. It would go back fine, but not forward. Then it wouldn't go either way. Then the "tilt" button would make it go forward. On and on. Could it be a bad motor, switch, something else? I'm clueless so any help would be greatly appreciated.

-t

t4bama,

It sounds suspiciously like the sunroof computer. Years ago, my wife's first Toyota Cressida did much the same thing. The sunroof just started to act erratically, occasionally opening or tilting up on its own, and then you'd need to play with the switches for 5 minutes to get it to do what you wanted. The problem was traced to the sunroof computer, a replacement installed, and the problem never again reappeared. On your model I'm not certain where the computer is installed, but I'm certain you could find one from an auto wrecker or on eBay cheaper than the dealerships would charge for a new one. You really should have a Toyota tech check out your problem to be sure first, whether or not you have them fix it or not. Find out where the computer is hiding, let them give you a price for a new one, and then decide which way you want to go. Check your owner's manual because I'm almost certain that there is a special allen key/tool with your car and an opening in the overhead maplights or console where you can use the tool to crank your sunroof closed manually, to be used in just such a circumstance that you find yourself in. Good Luck!

• 1 month later...