Check Engine Light/vsc/trac Light

smyrnagc

I have a 2003 Rx 300 and my check engine and VSC and Trac Off lights came on. I went to Auto Zone and here are the codes that came up:

P2A00: O2 Bank Sensor/Range/Perf.

P0442: EVAP Emission Control/System Leak (small)

P0446: EVAP Emission Control/System Vent Circuit Malfunction

The guy at Auto Zone told me that the 442 and 446 were from a bad gas cap not venting properly and I bought a replacement cap for $9. He said that the P2A00 was an O2 Sensor/Upstream/Drivers Side and that I could first take it off and clean it with brake cleaner to get off any build up and that would probably fix it.

So my questions...Where is this O2 sensor located and has this been anyone's experience with this problem.

Also, is the EVAP problem related to the gas cap and will my replacement cap fix this problem?

Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Hal

I have a 2003 Rx 300 and my check engine and VSC and Trac Off lights came on. I went to Auto Zone and here are the codes that came up:

The guy at Auto Zone told me that the 442 and 446 were from a bad gas cap not venting properly and I bought a replacement cap for $9. He said that the P2A00 was an O2 Sensor/Upstream/Drivers Side and that I could first take it off and clean it with brake cleaner to get off any build up and that would probably fix it.

So my questions...Where is this O2 sensor located and has this been anyone's experience with this problem.

Also, is the EVAP problem related to the gas cap and will my replacement cap fix this problem?

Thanks, Hal

I have 2001 RX300 and had check engine and VSC light on before. The air fuel ratio sensors that caused this problem, one sensor is located at front of engine and other at the back, see attached pictures. Make sure that you replace with sensor from Denso, all other such Bosch is never work with Lexus. The price for these sensors is around $145.00 on line.

Good luck

post-19713-1216057331_thumb.jpg

post-19713-1216057396_thumb.jpg

post-19713-1216057429_thumb.jpg

The 442 and 446 could be related to the gas cap, but there is also a TSB out regarding the EVAP codes being just 'phantom codes' and they will just go away on their own. Usually, if these codes truly represent a problem, then it's often related to the charcoal canister. Replacing it usually remedies the issue. The codes can also come from cracked or pinched vent lines to and from the canister. The EVAP system is kind of senstive, and not the best place to access. I would hold off on doing much more for the EVAP codes until you get the o2 sensor replaced.

As for the O2 code, I don't know where that one is, but I also don't know if you want to be using brake cleaner to clean it. If you use a cleaner, you'll probably want to use automotive electronic component spray cleaner. If it's a hard place to get to, you may want to just replace it and be done with it. Sometimes just thermo fatigue is what is causing the sensor to go bad, and no amount of cleaning will fix that.

Thanks, Hal

How many mile is on yours? There are three sensors on my 2001, two air fuel ratio and one O2. the air fuel ratio sensor is last about 90K, however, the one in the back of fire wall engine is usually goes off around 80K because the heat, the one in front is around 100K.

I never heard anyone has problem with O2. Anyway, attached is picture of O2 sensor that located after manifold.

post-19713-1216058745_thumb.jpg