Drivers Side Car Door

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum; I am the happy owner of an 2005 ES330 and have a "help" question. The driver's side car door does not close easily. It actually won't click shut with a gentle shove like the other doors. If we are not careful to push it hard enough to allow total contact, the inside lights will stay on and cause battery drain.

The vehicle is not scheduled for another maintence check up for awhile and I would rather not take it in for this reason only. That said, do you know if there is a way I can correct this myself? I have tried lubricants, etc. to no avail

Thanks in advance for any help you can be with this.

Pala

Pala,

The fix is relatively easy, but you will most likely not have the correct tool required to make the adjustment. The round post that comes out of the B Pillar that the door latch assembly hooks on to, has to be loosened, moved slightly and retightened. This might have to be done three or four times (since that post can be moved almost a half inch in all directions) until you achieve the result you're after. Sometimes the front door hinges need to be loosened and adjusted as well. Bodyshop techs are doing it all of the time and can do what you need done, most likely in less than five minutes. My advice is to let the dealership solve the problem so that you don't make the problem worse. Good Luck!

Pala,

The fix is relatively easy, but you will most likely not have the correct tool required to make the adjustment. The round post that comes out of the B Pillar that the door latch assembly hooks on to, has to be loosened, moved slightly and retightened. This might have to be done three or four times (since that post can be moved almost a half inch in all directions) until you achieve the result you're after. Sometimes the front door hinges need to be loosened and adjusted as well. Bodyshop techs are doing it all of the time and can do what you need done, most likely in less than five minutes. My advice is to let the dealership solve the problem so that you don't make the problem worse. Good Luck!

gbhrps,

Thanks for the response. I will take your advice and let the dealer fix the problem. Thanks again.

Pala