Sound System Problem

After we had our ES350 a couple of months, we heard a knocking sound each time radio was turned off. While driving it to dealer to check this out, radio stopped operating completely. Bluetooth, which worked via radio since we don't have navigation, also wouldn't work. No sound. Dealer said amplifier was defective and replaced it.

Everything worked fine for a couple of more months when same thing started happening intermittently. Brought car back to dealership, but of course, it didn't happen there, although the knocking sound on turning off the radio was heard. Dealer kept car a week, said they couldn't duplicate problem and returned car to us, with everything working fine. Same thing happened again last week, three months later, and we left car with dealer for third time, this time with the radio and bluetooth not operating at all. They called us and said amplifier was blown again. (This was the new one they had put in.)

Dealership now contacting Lexus Engineering as to what to do since replacing the amplifier is no solution since any new one they put in is likely to blow just like the first two. I suggested they replace the radio since it seemed to be pumping more sound into the amplifier than the amplifier could handle, and that was the problem. They are aware that this is the third time the problem has occurred and if they can't get it right this time, lemon law procedures will be initiated. I don't think the service people have any idea of what they are dealing with. Anyone have a similar problem?

After we had our ES350 a couple of months, we heard a knocking sound each time radio was turned off. While driving it to dealer to check this out, radio stopped operating completely. Bluetooth, which worked via radio since we don't have navigation, also wouldn't work. No sound. Dealer said amplifier was defective and replaced it.

Everything worked fine for a couple of more months when same thing started happening intermittently. Brought car back to dealership, but of course, it didn't happen there, although the knocking sound on turning off the radio was heard. Dealer kept car a week, said they couldn't duplicate problem and returned car to us, with everything working fine. Same thing happened again last week, three months later, and we left car with dealer for third time, this time with the radio and bluetooth not operating at all. They called us and said amplifier was blown again. (This was the new one they had put in.)

Dealership now contacting Lexus Engineering as to what to do since replacing the amplifier is no solution since any new one they put in is likely to blow just like the first two. I suggested they replace the radio since it seemed to be pumping more sound into the amplifier than the amplifier could handle, and that was the problem. They are aware that this is the third time the problem has occurred and if they can't get it right this time, lemon law procedures will be initiated. I don't think the service people have any idea of what they are dealing with. Anyone have a similar problem?

Hey ManagingEditor, just a clarifying question here, is this with the Mark Levinson or just the Lexus "Premium" Sound System. I have the ML system and have had no issues.

Hey ManagingEditor, just a clarifying question here, is this with the Mark Levinson or just the Lexus "Premium" Sound System. I have the ML system and have had no issues.