95 Ls400 Pioneer Cd Changer Cartridge Stuck

According to the archives, lots of folks have had this one - Error Code 13 on the radio display, CD cartridge not ejecting. I know I've got to pull the changer and use the manual release button on the bottom, available on the 95-97 models. I just have no idea how the @#*%^ to get to it. I've asked for the pictures from PIONEERSUBY but he may be away from the computer or on vacation - haven't heard anything in a few days.

I wouldn't be in such a hurry if I didn't have multiple CDs, all borrowed from my local library and now overdue, stuck in the cartridge, costing me $ each day they're stuck in there. My librarian is not sympathetic to my situation, with no sense of humor.

Any advice or pictures or help of any kind would be appreciated in getting that lower glovebox off so I can get to the bottom of the CD changer.

Many thanks in advance for any responses.

Hey,

I'm working on my 98 LS right now in the same area, my ac blower motor is only running on low speed, so I have it all opened up waiting for some help around here myself.

Anyway, to get the lower glovebox off:

Tools: Phillips screw driver and a deep 10mm socket, and your bare hands

1 Open the glove box and remove everything in it.

2 At the top underneath the upper glove box, there are four phillips head screws, remove them.

3 Inside the glove box to the left of center there is a little plastic access panel, pop that out and remove the 10mm nut behind it.

4 To the far right of the glove box underneath the corner of the lower dash panel is another 10mm nut, it will be the same color as the first one you removed, take that off.

5 Underneath the hinge of the glovebox, down where your toes are when sitting in the seat, there is a black panel. It's clipped in at the front, so just pry it off with your hands and pull it out, after you take the little lite out, by twisting it.

6 Now you can pull the glove box out. The glove box has clips holding it in place at the top where you took the 4 phillips head screws out. Also the lower corner of your dash will come out with the glove box. What you have to do now is, have the door open, grab the top of the door with your left hand, and use your right hand and grab the bottom of the door at the hinges, now just try and wiggle the hole thing from side to side as you pull it towards the seat. The clips at the top will start to pop out, and you'll see what I'm talking about.

7 Remove the connectors to the light and the switch, there is a yellow cable the is clipped together, and is attached to the back of the glove box, you can remove this from the mount without unclipping it.

Should take you about 10 min. 15 min. tops with these directions

Now stand on your head in the passenger foot well and you will see the bottom of the CD changer.

My car is a 98 but I think this R&R is the same.

Good luck

David

98 LS 400

93 LS 400

• 2 weeks later...

This post is simply for posterity, in case anybody else searches for this info in the future, photoinc and blake918 helped immensely in describing how the heck to get the lower glove box out and then get the CD player out. I just wanted to say thanks and tack on blake's response to my pm plea:

"It looks like the poster stopped at the step when you pull the lower glove box out. If you are wanting to take the changer out completely....

After the lower glove box it out, you'll need to pull the woodgrain trim out which I am pretty sure is held in just with some philips screws (I know two are in the little storage cubbies at the top of the cd changer glove box) and the glovebox door (I think it is also just held in with philips screws). Once, the glove box door and woodgrain come out, I believe there are 3 or 4 nuts/bolts that hold the changer in. Unplug the changer, and it will slide right out, and you can disassemble it to remove your cartridge. I think what Photonic wrote plus my $.02 should get you going."

Thanks very much again, my librarian and I both appreciate it.