2005 Es 330 Clicking Sound When Break

Hi everybody, I just bought my ES 330 and notice that there is a double clicking sound in the front every time I break. I wonder if this is a serious problem of some sort.

I heard from a friend that his Mercedes gives a similar sound as a warning before the break is about to wear out. Does this apply to Lexus? Thanks.

Any time that I've heard a click or clack when applying the brakes on any car I've driven over the years it almost always turns out to be loose parts in brake calipers up front. Usually its the pads that click/clack when brake pressure slaps them up against the rotor, again because they are loose. They aren't loose because they are about to fall off, but rather a spring clip that is supposed to stop them from making the noise is either bent, missing or seized and is not doing its job. It could also be that the bracket that holds the caliper to the hub has loose bolts, but this is very rare. I have seen where the brake material has parted from the backing plate on the pad and this is what makes the noise. Either way it shouldn't take a technician very long to find and correct the problem. What it comes down to is that someone needs to pull the wheels and see what is going on. By the way, when the brake pad wear indicators on most cars get to where the brake pads need to be replaced, they screech when you apply the brakes. I'm not certain what a Mercedes is supposed to do, but I wouldn't think that a click would get everyone's attention. Good Luck!

Just as a side note, there's a TSB for the RX300 on 'clicking' in the brakes... mainly when rolling backwards and applying the brakes, then shifting to forward motion and the initial application of the brakes. The correction is to go in and lube up the components and ensure no loose parts... essentially what gphrps is getting at.

I haven't heard of any wear indicators that click, for they are bent tabs on the brake pads themselves, and it's true they squeal (a little metal on metal contact always does the trick). The little metal tabs are waaaaay too inexpensive to switch to something else.