Rear Clunking Sound

I have a clunking sound coming from the right rear of my '92 ES. It doesn't make the noise when I back up, only when going forward. Seems like it clunks in one spot of the revolution. Do the bearings go bad on the rear hubs?

I am about to replace also about to replace my front left CV as it has started to click.

I don't think this is related, but thought I would mention it.

I'd apprecite any help.

Phew.... that's quite a vague description there... a 'clunk' in the right rear, eh? Can you be a bit more specific? Does the clunk rate/frequency increase as you increase speed? Is it over bumps, or on smooth pavement, too? Have you jacked up the vehicle and spun the right rear wheel to see if you still get the clunk sound? ...and if so, have you removed the wheel and inspected the hub to see if anything is awry? How do you know it's from the right rear? Are you just judging from the driver's seat while trying to drive the car and listen at the same time? Could it be the typical worn bushing issue on the rear anti-sway bar that's common for the ES300? Did you crawl under your vehicle and grab the sway bar and see if you would move it around (if you can move it significantly, your bushings are worn).

The only bearing issue related to a clunk is if you lost some of the bearings in your hub and as it rolled around you'd hit the empty spot and get a clunk. That doesn't really happen on an automotive hub... maybe a bicycle hub, but not on a car. When the hub bearings go out, they rumble... a deep, low rumbling sound as you drive.

More specifics on your symptoms would greatly help.

Thanks for the help. I haven't had time to check it out in more detail. I noticed it yesterday after backing out of the driveway and then moving forward. It seems like it is in one spot on the wheel revolution. I say rear right wheel, because I moved slowly and thought it was coming from the right rear. I plan on getting it up in the air this evening and looking into it. I'll be sure to look at the bushings. I'll report back.

I am having a similar issue. I just picked the car up from my mechanic and he doesn't know what it is. He inspected the brakes and they were fine. It happens when I brake and now it happens when rolling without pressure on the brakes. Could this be a possible hub/bearing issue?