1995 - Es300

This morning when I started my 1995 ES300, the O/D light started to flash and check engine light was on. After about 10 minutes of driving, the O/D light went off but the check engine light is still on.

The car has about 143000 miles.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Ajay D.

You've gotta pull the code to know what's causing it. Any Autozone or local shop can do this (or you can if you have a code reader). Once you know the code, you'll know where to look to solve the problem.

I don't know if the ES300 is like the RX300, but on the RX the transmission is tied into the ECU and when the 'wrong' code shows up with the CEL, it then disables the overdrive in the transmission. The idea is protection of the drivetrain... usually the disabling code that shows up has to do with the power generating ability of the engine, and the transmission will lock out of overdrive to keep from overloading the engine. Once you fix the problem with the engine and CEL, the transmission will 'learn' the newly cleared status and reset itself (if the system is similar to that on the RX300).

• 4 months later...
Just got the scan done at AutoZone and it came back with P0773 - "Shift Solenoid E electrical malfunction SSV DSL".

Can anyone help me understand this in plain english.

Thank you

check your voltage output from your battery with the car running, it should be between 13 and 15volt, had the same problem altenator wasnt putting out, it was going bad, replaced altenator problem went away.

Just got the scan done at AutoZone and it came back with P0773 - "Shift Solenoid E electrical malfunction SSV DSL".

Can anyone help me understand this in plain english.

Thank you

check your voltage output from your battery with the car running, it should be between 13 and 15volt, had the same problem altenator wasnt putting out, it was going bad, replaced altenator problem went away.

i had the same code 98 es300 turned out to be my altenator not putting out enough voltage. check you voltage form your battery it should be between 13.5 and 15.5v volts. changed my alternator problem went away. hope this helps.