My Oxygen Sensor Need Replacing On A 2002 Sc430

rockriv

My engine warning light is on, and turns out one of the oxygen sensors need replacing according to my dealer.

Lexus dealer is asking $600 for the replacement. There are two sensors, and they recommend replacing both for $1000 at a savings of $200 as they think the second sensor will likely need replacing at some point.

So, questions I have:

1) Can this be done by a regular mechanic? How much would it cost to do it? I live in the Bay Area, so if you know someone that has done it before, the info would be greatly appreciated.

2) Can this be done by the owner? If so, now long will it take and what tools are needed?

3) Can this engine alert be ignored? How long can I drive the car with this issue before it becomes a problem.

Really would appreciate any insight and suggestions. Many thanks in advance.

-Rich

My engine warning light is on, and turns out one of the oxygen sensors need replacing according to my dealer.

Lexus dealer is asking $600 for the replacement. There are two sensors, and they recommend replacing both for $1000 at a savings of $200 as they think the second sensor will likely need replacing at some point.

So, questions I have:

1) Can this be done by a regular mechanic? How much would it cost to do it? I live in the Bay Area, so if you know someone that has done it before, the info would be greatly appreciated.

2) Can this be done by the owner? If so, now long will it take and what tools are needed?

3) Can this engine alert be ignored? How long can I drive the car with this issue before it becomes a problem.

Really would appreciate any insight and suggestions. Many thanks in advance.

-Rich

Hi Rich,

I also own an sc430 02. However I am in the UK. The engine light came on in May of this year. I drove for about 1000 miles without any problem.However for peace of mind I found out the problem was the O2 sensor. Two mechanics confirmed this. Make sure which one needs to be replaced. There are four! One mechanic reccomended the two pre cat or top sensors. However after purchasing an ELM327 code reader from ebay, 50 uk pounds I pinpointed the fault to be the left bank, your drivers side, left hand drive cars, pre cat sensor. The part cost 200 uk pounds. Copy parts were available but I elected for the dealer part. A specific O2 sensor socket (22mm) has to be used, 10 uk pounds. Securely raise the car. Remove the two engine covers, underneath the car. Disconnect the battery.Use gallons of wd40 penetrating oil or freeze spray, very effective. Ensure the socket is fitted on the sensor securely, then loosen. Loosen the heat shield bolt on the connector cable. Very carefully dissconnect. Clean the area and refit the new sensor. Thats that! It is worth doing yourself. Beginning to end 5 hours.You need daylight. Do not rush!

Thanks,Asif

• Like 1

• 13 years later...

Hi Rich -

I'm now having the same issue on my 04 sc430, 13 years after your initial post 🙂 Also in the bay area. Do you have a trusted mechanic you can recommend that helped fix this issue of yours and how much did it end up costing for labor?

Thanks a lot,

Melissa