Es350 Ml Subwoofer

Davinci

I've read quite a few complaints regarding distortion and resonance of the package tray for the ML Sub woofer. Mine does it too. It's the only thing I really hate about the car. This is my 4th Lexus, but 1st time ML. I had the GS300 '06 prior to this, and I was much more satisfied with the low-end frequency response of that system.

Just to be sure I wasn't tripping, I went to the dealer yesterday, took a CD and compared the sound and settings between my car and another ES350 with ML and a ES350 with the standard audio. Mine and the other ML performed and sounded the same. The ML was clearly superior in sound, but the std system managed the power much better in the low end. The difference being in the std system, the subwoofer was never over powered to the point of distortion. This is also consistent with my previous Lexus's. Excessive SPL was required to distort the sound. It happens around 40 now on mine. The only workaround I've found was to apply the fader almost completely to the front; but you shouldn't need to do that with a high end stereo system.

Any I know this may sound like *BLEEP*ization to some, but I am investigating a suitable replacement for my sub. Has anyone else done it? Is it an easy DIY?