Dimming Lights

Any time I use something electrical, everything else suffers: Say I'm driving down a dark road and apply the brakes hard enough for ABS to kick in; I notice the headlights dim a little bit. Actually, everything does including the brightness of the dash lights. Only for a second, though. Same thing with if Traction Control kicks in - everything kind of dims. Could this be a grounding issue or a sign my alternator is crap?

I've read some posts that say there are different alternators and some put out more juice, but would it be better to start off getting a high performance grounding kit? I also read that the reason the seat heaters are sub-par is because of the same 'alternator not powerful enough' deal. What do you guys think?

ABS uses a large amount of power so that explains that, but before I had HIDs in my toyota's (MR2 and ES) they both dimmed for a sec when I applied the breaks at any force. this doesn't necessarily mean your alternator is bad, but it might be. I wouldnt worry about it unless you get some other signs of a dying alternator such as slower cranking speed, etc.

-Erik

I might add I put in a new battery in the past month or so and made a jump from 500 to 730!! Cold Cranking Amps. I was impressed. Not that that has much/anything to do with after the car is started, just thought I'd add.

wow, thats a lot of CCa's i've got a Lithium battery in my MR2 and that only puts out 550 (granted it's tiney and only weighs 6lbs) but yeah, I wouldnt worry about it, it's just one of those toyota things. if it's annoying, just replace all your interior lights to Regulated LEDs, and headlights to HID and you have done it! no more flickering! :P