Help! Engine Shuts Off While Idling

jmcgee

I have a '92 SC400 with about 140K miles. It's only driven about once a week anymore. This car has been super dependable, but has developed a problem. The engine has stopped twice while idling in stop and go traffic the last two times I have driven the car. Both times it was on the return leg of my 35 mile commute. It actually cutoff the second time within a half mile from where it cutoff the first time. There is no warning, the motor just cuts off like you turned the ignition off. After three or four tries to restart, the engine finally will start and runs fine. Both times while trying to restart, there was one attempt where it would try to run for about 2 seconds, but sounded bad like it was flooded or something. The other attempts involved the engine turning over, but not firing. I probably need some professional help with this issue, but any ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I have a '92 SC400 with about 140K miles. It's only driven about once a week anymore. This car has been super dependable, but has developed a problem. The engine has stopped twice while idling in stop and go traffic the last two times I have driven the car. Both times it was on the return leg of my 35 mile commute. It actually cutoff the second time within a half mile from where it cutoff the first time. There is no warning, the motor just cuts off like you turned the ignition off. After three or four tries to restart, the engine finally will start and runs fine. Both times while trying to restart, there was one attempt where it would try to run for about 2 seconds, but sounded bad like it was flooded or something. The other attempts involved the engine turning over, but not firing. I probably need some professional help with this issue, but any ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Check the MAF sensor..I had the same problem with my 93 and it corrected it. But, before going out and spending all that money.take it to the dealer and get a diagnostic test..to find out what code it's throwing..it should be throwing a code 34 I think, if that's it. You also, may want to go to codereader.com and order a OBD 1 code reader for a 1983 - 1995 Toyota/Lexus. They are only about 30 bucks and you can read your own codes by the flashing check engine light on your dash...the book that comes with the code reader will show you how to read the codes on your dash. I think you can also find these on amazon.com. If you don't want to spend the money for a New One go to car-parts.com and you can find good working ones with warranty there. Good Luck ..hope this helps...

I had the same thing happen to me on a 1997 Toyota Camry, and it was an idle control valve that would go bad. Not sure if different Toyota motors have similar problems. Just a thought.