Drooning Noise

dery45

It's me again. 1996 LS400. After further investiation this is what I see. I got with a friend of mine a my church which owns a transmission repair shop. We went for a ride and this is what we discovered.

The drooning nose with a little vibration is most noticable at 2K RPMs. This is with the car moving or not. With the car in park and running the engine up to 2K RPMs it is a fadding in and out drooning sound at about 2 second intervals. We seem to think it has something to do with some of the mounts ie.. motor, transmission, etc...

But I came up with another theory (THE EXHAUST). So I checked a moment ago and found a tread where someone mentioned the exhaust as a possibility. My Lexus sits a lot sometimes as I am ususally in my truck. About a week ago a nice gentlemen flagged me down while I was on the Highway and informed me that there is a lot of water coming out of my exhaust pipes. As I checked it was nothing to be allarmed about, just extra (clear clean water) built up in the exhaust system. I'v been driving it everyday for over a week now. I wonder if something rushed out inside the cataytic converter or muffler which is cauing a drooming hormonic/vibration.

Has anyone experieced this??????????????????

Thanks Brad

Brad, I think you are on the right track by suspecting the mounts. You could do a visual on them to see if they might need replacing.

The good news is that this droning occurs in park @ 2k rpm and should be fairly easy to nail down. If it were me, I would be tempted

to take my hydraulic floor jack along with piece of 2x4 for cushion and 'gently' apply a slight upward pressure to the 1)engine 2)transmission 3)exhaust

at seperate times making note of the droning noise. While there might be interplay, with some experimenting, you could isolate the cause of

vibration/droning noise.