2002 Es300 Navigation Update

WebG

I have a 2002 ES300. When we purchased the car used, we were able to get the 2004 nav DVD from the dealer for free (!!!) and were quite happy with that. I merely popped the old DVD out and put the new one in, and everything worked fine.

I have since obtained the 2007 nav update (model PT219-GEN23-07) from a local dealer [an aside: call around to your local dealers; the price I obtained was within reasonable difference from the Sewell pricing and I didn't have to wait for the mail].

My plan is to do the exact same thing I did with the 2004 DVD: start the car, pop the old DVD out, put the new DVD in, and follow whatever prompts are necessary to finish the install.

However, reading the FAQs at http://www.lexus-parts.com/import/faq.html have me a little confused. They say this:

How do install my new navigation disc?

While we would recommend your local dealer to perform the installation, we have found many of our users prefer to install the DVD navigation update themselves.

But later on the page, they say this:

How is my navigation system updated?

Starting with 2001 model year vehicles, the updates are performed by the dealer installing a DVD update disc. The system is not designed so that a customer can update the software.

My questions regarding this are:

1. are these two statements in the FAQ contradicting each other, or are these two FAQ statements talking about two different items - a DVD map (that I currently have) and a Nav System Software Update (that may or may not be on the DVD map disc that I currently have)?

2. Do I need to visit the dealer to have the nav system software updated in order to use the updated DVD map that I currently have?

Further, they have a page discussing nav generation information here - http://www.lexus-parts.com/import/What_Generation.html. Similarly confusing, it says that for the 2002 ES300 that I need to have my navigation updated if my "Map DVD is

DATA ver.06.1 or older" and that I do NOT need to update my navigation if "Version check is NOT

Map data:ver.07.1". Again, these two statements contradict themselves if I'm currently at map version 4.1, as I would then fall under both categories.

3. Can someone explain what the chart is trying to tell me, please?

On the bright side, at least I'm fairly certain I have the latest map DVD in my hands. It's all the other stuff that I'm unsure of.

Thanks for your help with these three questions.

No, it should work exactly like your previous update worked.

Thank you for your reply; that is what I expected to hear, but sometimes you never know what's actually going on based on what one finds when doing research on the 'net. (of course, if someone has more to share, feel free to chime in...)

Cheers!