Upper Intake Mainfold

RockysDad

I need to change my valve cover gaskets due to it leaking but had trouble trying to remove the upper intake plenum to get to the rear cover. There is a nut that is pretty hard to get underneath the plenum near the passenger side. It seems that the fuel rail is in the way plus its at a weird angle with limited height space making it difficult to get a socket or anykind of wrench in there. Also there's not much room to turn an open end wrench even if I manage to get on it there.

So whats the trick to removing this nut? Is there another one that I can't see? The total is two bolts and three nuts that is holding down this top plenum. Is this correct?

TIA...

I need to change my valve cover gaskets due to it leaking but had trouble trying to remove the upper intake plenum to get to the rear cover. There is a nut that is pretty hard to get underneath the plenum near the passenger side. It seems that the fuel rail is in the way plus its at a weird angle with limited height space making it difficult to get a socket or anykind of wrench in there. Also there's not much room to turn an open end wrench even if I manage to get on it there.

So whats the trick to removing this nut? Is there another one that I can't see? The total is two bolts and three nuts that is holding down this top plenum. Is this correct?

TIA...

What year is your car? I remember there are 2 nuts and 2 bolts in the front and 1 bolt in the back to hold down the plenum. The 2 nuts require a 14 mm socket and the 2 bolts require a 8 mm hex bit to remove. You have to turn or put a lot of torque to remove the 8 mm bolts. I had to use a 1/2 inch ratchet and broke a sweat afterward. They feel like 150 lbs of torque tight. Try spray some penetrator on the bolts everyday for 2-3 days after driving.

The fuel line is not really in the way, but the tubings are wires are. You need to remove the tubing rail first before getting to the 8mm hex bolts.

I have a 1992 with the 3XXX something engine.

So I do have to remove the fuel rail huh? Which tool did you use to remove the bolt that is underneath? It doesn't look like a socket head with a U-joint will fit. A closed end wrench? What a pain...

I had no problems removing the nuts and bolts. They came right off for me.

I have a 1992 with the 3XXX something engine.

So I do have to remove the fuel rail huh? Which tool did you use to remove the bolt that is underneath? It doesn't look like a socket head with a U-joint will fit. A closed end wrench? What a pain...

I had no problems removing the nuts and bolts. They came right off for me.

u may or may not need to remove the fuel line. i suspect you don't need to. do not use u-joint sockets or extensions. you might break the socket or extension because this bolt requires a lot of force. may be try crows feet? check w/the auto part store.