93 Es300 Wont Start

tgrays

After letting my neighborhood mechanic replace my air fuel and fuel filter my car wont start. We confirmed that fuel is coming up, so the fuel pump is ok. He even put the old one back on. He ran diagnotics which said "distribator core", which was replaced also. What could the problem be? Please help.

After letting my neighborhood mechanic replace my air fuel and fuel filter my car wont start. We confirmed that fuel is coming up, so the fuel pump is ok. He even put the old one back on. He ran diagnotics which said "distribator core", which was replaced also. What could the problem be? Please help.

Anyone?

There are 3 things needed for a gasoline engine to run Fuel, Air and Spark. Now it appears for some reason one of these is missing. So you must begin a troubleshooting list.

Im not excately sure what your problem is bacause you have not listed specifically what is wrong. Just saying it wont start

really is not enough. It could be out of fuel or have a bad battery. So Ill list some t/s steps to follow.

Assuming the ignition switch is working properly.....

1)Check battery to insure it is fully charged, alternator to insure it is charging and properly connected to battery positive wire.

2)Check to see if there is spark by pulling one of the spark plugs and grounding it while turning over the engine. In the event you turn the key and nothing happens check to see if the dash lights up. If it does check the fuse box to insure there are no blown fuses replace as nessary. If there is spark on the plug you checked pull all the plugs and check each one for spark and replace as necessary.

Go back to checking for spark by attempting to start engine. In the event the engine does not turn over there are few things to check starting with the starter and the starter solenoid. Locate the starter. On top or side of the starter is a solenoid with two wires(there may be one so check!!!) . Using the shade tree mechanic trick you can short those two terminals together just oh so briefly and SAFELY!!! if the starter turns then it may be a wire between the ground and the starter or the wire between the positive and the starter. BTW I dont recommend shorting the two terminal together I suggest verify continuity end to end from each end of the wires to where it terminates one on the battery and one on the chassis I believe.

If you dont have an open or short and its still doesnt turn over, take the starter out of the vehicle and have it checked at a Auto parts store to determine if it is defective. If it is found good, place it back into the vehicle or replace it if it is bad.

3) Next up is the fuel system. having fuel in the vehicle is one thing, getting it to the engine is another. Check the fuel pump to insure it is pumping by disconnecting the tube going to the engine side of the pump and turn the key to on/start position insure you use a jar or some other means to catch the fuel SAFELY!!!!!. Check the Fuel filter to see if it is clogged, replace as necessary. Check the fuel pressure on the fuel rail to insure proper pressure is (may require fuel pressure guage)

In the event the engine turn over and you have spark and fuel pressure start with the fuel injectors(Requires a NOID light)

check to make sure voltage is applied to the fuel injectors by disconnecting the connector from one of the injectors(Check Every Connector!!!!) if there is voltage, the engine turns over when key is turned and pressure on the fuel rail and it still doesnt start there may be a faulty fuel injector (Highly unlikely, but it happens)

Dont replace the fuel injectors until you have checked timing on the engine!!!! you will have to do it manually if the engine will not run. email me for details for timing issues.

Somewhere along these steps you should find the cause of the no start situation

In addition, if you have a transponder key there may be a programming issue which will prevent the vehicle from starting as well. Make sure this is not the case before troubleshooting!!!! or you will be wasting your time.

Let me know how it turns out for you...

Good Luck!!!!!! :cheers:

I'm not positive, but, this 'distributor core' could be defective. (Whatever a 'distributor core' is. I've worked on cars [mostly American made] for over 40 years and I've never heard of a part called that.)

IF the vehicle was running o.k. before you replaced this item, then, I'd suspect that the new part is bad. Been there. Done that. Got the T-shirt.