Rx 330 Child Lock

herbey53

I have a 2004 RX330 and the right rear door has the child lock switch engaged (in the down position) and I can not physically get it to switch to the up position to disengage it. I checked the left rear door and that switch moves freely up and down, engaging and disengaging the child lock as it should.

A little history... I first noticed issues with the child lock on the right side not working about 1 year after I purchased the vehicle. I took it into the dealer and they replaced the child lock assembly (I still have the paperwork). When I picked it up it was fixed. I very rarely, if ever, have passengers in the back seat and so I haven't really thought about it since it was fixed. However, recently I had a passenger in the back and they were unable to get out. I took it to the dealership and they would not fix it (w/out charging several hundred dollars) because they said someone else had done body work on the door. A few years ago I had some minor damage from a fendor bender on the right rear door and took it to a body shop to get fixed. I don't see how that could have done anything to mess up the child lock.

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this problem? Is it something I can do myself, can I take it to any car shop, or does it require work thru a Lexus dealership ?

Thanks in advance for the help