Possible Audio/video Improvements

Options20002001

We bought our 2006 GX loaded with NAV, ML, RSES and KDSS a couple of months ago. Excellent SUV, very well built and rides like a dream...so far. However, couldn't help but notice a few shortcomings in the audio/video system. List includes lack of MP3 capability, poor sound (low volume) when DVD player is played through the main audio system and lack of headrest screens integrated with the drop down screen. Thus, went on the search to possibly resolve/fix these issues. Here is what I found:

• Add MP3 capability by installing the VAISTECH SLI adaptor/interface for the IPOD. This has already been discussed here.

• The sound from the DVD player can possibly be improved by tapping into the sound signal out and feeding it into the AUX connection in the SLI. I believe that the multi display ECU (somehow) reduces the volume of the signal before feeding it to the radio receiver. Hence, tapping this signal and feeding it directly to the AUX connectors in the SLI may help. The sound circuit diagram for the DVD player and the entire audio/video system are attached. The pins are 6 (R+, black),7 (R-, white),8 (L+, red) and 9 (L-, green) on the D6 (20 pins) connector (page 12 in the attached).

• The video signal (NTSC) can be tapped from the DVD player and then fed to the headscreens after passing through a signal booster. Pin 3 (green) is the NTSC signal and Pin 2 (red) is the SGND for the signal. Attached pdf shows the video circuit and also on page 12 of the entire circuit pdf.
    This is possibly the cheapest method to install a couple of screens which can be bought for less than $500.

I don't know how many here have experienced the above mentioned audio/video shortcomings/issues of the DVD player. If yes, how did you go about resolving?

Next, I will try to do these mods when I install the SLI interface and post the findings.

Options

AS_RSE_dvd_player_wiring.pdf

Sound_Signal_Circuit_for_DVD_Player.pdf

Video_Signal_Circuit_for_DVD_Player.pdf