Teen Purchase Of A Is300?

FES330lix

I went to my sister's house several weekends ago for my nephew's birthday celebration; he turned 16. And being 16, the first thing he did was schedule a drive test and pass with flying colors.

We went stopped by three dealerships last night and he didn't take serious interest in anything. That is, until he laid his eyes on a black 2001 IS300. After I dropped him off at his house and went home, my sister called me and told me her concern; he wants the Lexus. After some research I discovered IS300's around 4-6 years old cost below $15,000 (the price max for his car) and hold strong reliability and quality.

Me and my family's main concern is whether or not the IS300 is a suitable first car. It has an adequate amount of power, lots of luxury appointments teens will appreciate, and very reliable even though it's 6 years old (I had a 2001 330Ci...never again!). We also have no clue about the insurance rates. Your input is greatly appreciated!

I got my IS300 as a sixth car but was still 16. My parents wouldnt let me get a BMW right away so i settled for the Lexus. I think that the Lexus would be a great first car, but the only thing that I would be against is the RWD for winter. Then again i dont know where you live but if you get snow or a decent amount of snow the car is harder than hell to get going and to control only with an inch or so on the ground. However, if you get the IS300 with 17" premium rims (like mine) you are going to have lots of trouble with the car in winter even with snow tires. with the Standard rims that you can get the car isnt as bad to drive. Otherwise it is a great car, its lots of fun to drive, insurance isnt to much even with an accident and 2 tickets on my record. It is a great car and like i said if you get snow thats the one thing that would turn me away from it because i drive during winter to school and work so i bought a BMW X5 so that i wouldn't have to deal with that car in the winter!

Because they are cheap... If I had an endless supply of money I would drive a comfortable expensive car as apposed to a worthless bucket...That makes no sense to me as an adult unless you are using your vaste wealth to aid the less fortunate...

Yeah, I have no problem with nice things. You've just got to make sure they're affordable.