Differential Locked

dja

Hi all, problem is with a 98 LX470. Differential is locked (panel light is on), and the vehicle stutters in any gear selected (driven very slooow). The switch (push button with a stick figure of 4 whhels with a broken line in the middle) does nothing. Any ideas?

Thanks.

Hi all, problem is with a 98 LX470. Differential is locked (panel light is on), and the vehicle stutters in any gear selected (driven very slooow). The switch (push button with a stick figure of 4 whhels with a broken line in the middle) does nothing. Any ideas?

Thanks.

put the car into neutral and then push the transfer case knob labeled "H, N, L" all the way to the top (towards the front of the vehicle) until you cant push it any further. you may need to apply a little force. the light should go off. if it doesnt then try pushing the button you pushed before again. make sure the button is NOT depressed. sometimes the light takes a second or two after you push it to either turn on or off. hope it works.

Thanks for the reply. The problem persists, though.

Im able to put the transfer case knob all the way forward, but the diff lock light is still on. Also, the button is not depressed (pressing on/off does nothing).

Make sure you are not turning, as this will bind up the drivetrain. Drive straight for a while to relieve drivetrain stress, then stop and try to disengage the CDL. The other way (if you turned) is to reverse in the same way to undo the turn. The drivetrain binds up because when you turn, the front and rear axles want to turn at a different rate since the front travels more distance (think of how a big-rig makes a huge, sweeping turn for the front wheels while the wheels at the rear of the trailer travel a short distance). However, the locked center diff forces both front and rear axles/driveshafts to turn at the same rate. These two opposing forces build up pressure in the drivetrain. This pressure does not allow the center diff to unlock until you relieve the pressure. If you drive straight on the dirt shoulder, it helps a lot since the dirt will allow the tires to spin at slightly different rates to relieve pressure. The worst is driving on high traction surfaces w/ the center diff locked.

• 1 year later...
Make sure you are not turning, as this will bind up the drivetrain. Drive straight for a while to relieve drivetrain stress, then stop and try to disengage the CDL. The other way (if you turned) is to reverse in the same way to undo the turn. The drivetrain binds up because when you turn, the front and rear axles want to turn at a different rate since the front travels more distance (think of how a big-rig makes a huge, sweeping turn for the front wheels while the wheels at the rear of the trailer travel a short distance). However, the locked center diff forces both front and rear axles/driveshafts to turn at the same rate. These two opposing forces build up pressure in the drivetrain. This pressure does not allow the center diff to unlock until you relieve the pressure. If you drive straight on the dirt shoulder, it helps a lot since the dirt will allow the tires to spin at slightly different rates to relieve pressure. The worst is driving on high traction surfaces w/ the center diff locked.

Hi Dear,

I have opposite problem from this. I have no indicator light on when I engaged CDL. I read the write up on internet that he has the same problem and then he removed and cleaned the indicator switch on top of transfer case. He got indicator light on when he engaged. I removed and cleaned my switch first it worked but not all the time so I cleaned some more now it's not working at all and dealer wants $$$$$$$ for it.

I wonder if anyone has the old switch or know someone has the old switch for sale cheap, please let me know.

p.s for a guy that cdl light on all the time you might want to clean your switch but do not over clean it.