In The Ultimate Act Of Stupidity, Reversed Battery Cables...

IansLexus

92 LS.... I dropped a wrench down in behind the battery, and I was gonna take it out to remove the wrech later. got it all back together.... now I realize the car wont start without a jump AND when it does run... NOTHING else works, no lights, no dash, my a/c, no cd player.. nothin.

In the "heat" of the moment, I accidently reversed the + and - cables. It's raining outside and I quickly threw it together, thinking I knew which was the correct way. Turns out the SOB is backwards, hence my problem.

I hope there is a "quick fix" for this....but I know it will be difficult.

Help anyone?

Yay... go me.

2202798200052890150S600x600Q85.jpg

92 LS.... I dropped a wrench down in behind the battery, and I was gonna take it out to remove the wrech later. got it all back together.... now I realize the car wont start without a jump AND when it does run... NOTHING else works, no lights, no dash, my a/c, no cd player.. nothin.

In the "heat" of the moment, I accidently reversed the + and - cables. It's raining outside and I quickly threw it together, thinking I knew which was the correct way. Turns out the SOB is backwards, hence my problem.

I hope there is a "quick fix" for this....but I know it will be difficult.

Help anyone?

Yay... go me.

2202798200052890150S600x600Q85.jpg

You are extremely lucky, both batteries may have EXPLODED before you could get them disconnected.

Surprised that the "HOT" one still had enough energy to start the car after having been reverse connected.

You are extremely lucky, both batteries may have EXPLODED before you could get them disconnected.

Surprised that the "HOT" one still had enough energy to start the car after having been reverse connected.

Let me explain better... I realized right after the battery sparked that I had installed it wrong... I flipped it around, correctly.... but it wouldnt start. I THEN jumped it off, but by that point the damage was done.

I have traced it down to the 120A fuse/relay/thing, it was a SOB to get out... I'm just hoping somewhere has it in stock...

Ok. I replaced the 120A circuit breaker.... now it starts up and runs...idles very low, interior lights dont work, airbag light is on, cd player doesnt work (aftermarket, if probaly the fuse in the back, I hope).

Also, the steering wheel doesnt adjust... what gives?

Ok. I replaced the 120A circuit breaker.... now it starts up and runs...idles very low, interior lights dont work, airbag light is on, cd player doesnt work (aftermarket, if probaly the fuse in the back, I hope).

Also, the steering wheel doesnt adjust... what gives?

If anyone is following this "story", which is high unlikely... ill let you know whats happening.

Its al good... its running kinda rough, surprisingly.... idles real low, and airbag light is on.. i replaced 2 circuit breakers, and many fuses.... no other damage, I hope.

AFter the ECU is reset, does it usually run differently?

It sometimes runs differently because all the learned data is lost. The air bag is easy to reset - the steps are documented somewhere - try doing a search - if you can't locate it, let me know and I'll find it for you.

thanks bro I appreciate... i searched earlier and found out how to do it, but I havent done it yet. thanks though

Well Ian, I am sorry for your luck and hope that you can fix all problems. Can't add much to the advice

about checking fuses other than you might check for any burnt looking/smelling wires (but hopefully the

fuses kept any from actually frying).

On the plus side(or is it negative ?,)...sorry bad pun <_< , your dog pic just cracked me up! Thanks for brightening my day :cheers:

Well Ian, I am sorry for your luck and hope that you can fix all problems. Can't add much to the advice

about checking fuses other than you might check for any burnt looking/smelling wires (but hopefully the

fuses kept any from actually frying).

On the plus side(or is it negative ?,)...sorry bad pun <_< , your dog pic just cracked me up! Thanks for brightening my day :cheers:

No problemo! :D :D

Funny you should mention it... after I returned from the gym tonight, I got out and noticed a weird smell from under the hood... I think some wires or somethin are burning. Ugh...the problems never seem to end!!

Gonna take a look at it tomorrow.