To Fix Or Not To Fix

Lex-ed

Hi All -- I am driving a '94 LS400 and the trac light stays on almost all the time. I was told the codes are showing an ABS system controller 'acting up' and was quoted 2 grand plus to replace it -- $1900 for the part and $450 for labor. Well, I am not at all interested in spending that unless it's absoutely necessary for car functioning. I drive around town mostly, at fairly lows speeds (40 tops), and once in a blue moon hit the freeway for a jaunt out to Malibu, or to Orange County, etc. Can I just ignore this problem? One of the mechanics i spoke with said to ignore it until the light stays on ALL the time, and what will eventually happen is that I will find it harder and harder to accelerate, then when the controller goes out, I won't be able to drive the car at all. Others have said in these forums to just ignore it, but if my car is going to eventually quit on me, isn't this something i have to fix? Even if this forum consensus says I have to fix this, I will go the reman route or get that part deep discount online. I have plenty of sources and know that I can vastly improve upon that quote of $1900 for the part (alone). Also, does $450 in labor make any sense? I thought the controller was a computer CHIP that you pull out and pop a new one in -- kind of like changing a fuse. I thought I read that somewhere. Is there more to it than this? If not, how does changing a fuse add up to :whistles: :whistles: that much labor? Thanks to all!!! Great forum.

HAD THE SAME ISSUE WITH MINE. THIS MAY SOUND STRANGE BUT IF YOU ARE USING THE CIGARETTE CHARGER FOR YOUR PHONE OR SOME DEVICE TRY NOT USING IT FOR A FEW DAYS AND YOU'LL SEE THE TRAC LIGHT GO AWAY..... I USE THE REAr ONE NOW AND HAVEN'T SEEN THE LIGHT IN MONTHS, EXCEPT WHEN A FREIND PLUGGED HIS PHONE IN ONE TIME RECENTLY....sorry about the caps

Hi All -- I am driving a '94 LS400 and the trac light stays on almost all the time. I was told the codes are showing an ABS system controller 'acting up' and was quoted 2 grand plus to replace it -- $1900 for the part and $450 for labor. Well, I am not at all interested in spending that unless it's absoutely necessary for car functioning. I drive around town mostly, at fairly lows speeds (40 tops), and once in a blue moon hit the freeway for a jaunt out to Malibu, or to Orange County, etc. Can I just ignore this problem? One of the mechanics i spoke with said to ignore it until the light stays on ALL the time, and what will eventually happen is that I will find it harder and harder to accelerate, then when the controller goes out, I won't be able to drive the car at all. Others have said in these forums to just ignore it, but if my car is going to eventually quit on me, isn't this something i have to fix? Even if this forum consensus says I have to fix this, I will go the reman route or get that part deep discount online. I have plenty of sources and know that I can vastly improve upon that quote of $1900 for the part (alone). Also, does $450 in labor make any sense? I thought the controller was a computer CHIP that you pull out and pop a new one in -- kind of like changing a fuse. I thought I read that somewhere. Is there more to it than this? If not, how does changing a fuse add up to :whistles: :whistles: that much labor? Thanks to all!!! Great forum.

I rarely if ever use the lighter to charge the phone (although I have in the past). As a matter of fact, the lighter is laying loose in the ashtray. I will plug it in and leave it plugged in to see if it makes any difference. I do find this a very strange solution btw, but if it works? I will call you genius! Tx.

HAD THE SAME ISSUE WITH MINE. THIS MAY SOUND STRANGE BUT IF YOU ARE USING THE CIGARETTE CHARGER FOR YOUR PHONE OR SOME DEVICE TRY NOT USING IT FOR A FEW DAYS AND YOU'LL SEE THE TRAC LIGHT GO AWAY..... I USE THE REAr ONE NOW AND HAVEN'T SEEN THE LIGHT IN MONTHS, EXCEPT WHEN A FREIND PLUGGED HIS PHONE IN ONE TIME RECENTLY....sorry about the caps
Hi All -- I am driving a '94 LS400 and the trac light stays on almost all the time. I was told the codes are showing an ABS system controller 'acting up' and was quoted 2 grand plus to replace it -- $1900 for the part and $450 for labor. Well, I am not at all interested in spending that unless it's absoutely necessary for car functioning. I drive around town mostly, at fairly lows speeds (40 tops), and once in a blue moon hit the freeway for a jaunt out to Malibu, or to Orange County, etc. Can I just ignore this problem? One of the mechanics i spoke with said to ignore it until the light stays on ALL the time, and what will eventually happen is that I will find it harder and harder to accelerate, then when the controller goes out, I won't be able to drive the car at all. Others have said in these forums to just ignore it, but if my car is going to eventually quit on me, isn't this something i have to fix? Even if this forum consensus says I have to fix this, I will go the reman route or get that part deep discount online. I have plenty of sources and know that I can vastly improve upon that quote of $1900 for the part (alone). Also, does $450 in labor make any sense? I thought the controller was a computer CHIP that you pull out and pop a new one in -- kind of like changing a fuse. I thought I read that somewhere. Is there more to it than this? If not, how does changing a fuse add up to :whistles::whistles: that much labor? Thanks to all!!! Great forum.