Newbie Needs Help With Bulb Replacement

basao

I hope you ES veterans out there don't find this too elementary but I need some general direction on how to replace the rear left turn signal light bulb on my 96 ES300. I've replaced head light bulbs before but this looks totally different. Do I remove the entire left rear assembly to change the bulb or am I not seeing something really simple? Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Yeah, you have to remove the entire taillight assembly.

Your first step is to remove the black plastic trim piece that runs across the top rim of the trunk. Just pull up on it. There are several clips which hold it in place. Then remove the clips which hold the trunk liner in place. Push the trunk liner away from the taillight assembly, and you will see numerous bolts and nuts that hold the assembly in place. I don't recall the exact number of bolts, but there are probably four or five that have to be removed. There are also a number of protruding bolts which do not have to be removed. If I recall correctly, I think the nuts you need to remove are 10 mm. You will find these easier to remove if you use a deep well socket. There is one bolt over in the far corner that is easy to overlook.

When you have all the nuts removed, pull out on the assembly. Get it far enough from the car body to give you access to the bulbholders.

While you are at it, replace all the bulbs in the assembly. You don't want to go through this every time a bulb goes out.

I hope you ES veterans out there don't find this too elementary but I need some general direction on how to replace the rear left turn signal light bulb on my 96 ES300. I've replaced head light bulbs before but this looks totally different. Do I remove the entire left rear assembly to change the bulb or am I not seeing something really simple? Thanks in advance for your assistance.

I am soooo soooory. As you can see, I'm really a newbie. I thank you very much for your assistance and will surely be more knowledgable next time. This forum is great. I'll be returning for sure. Mahalo (Thank You) from Hawaii!

• 2 years later...
Here's a previous thread about replacing the taillight bulbs with nice pics and everything!

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=15005

So way cool! Thank you Lexucan and a really special thanks to DKRC-2003 (I sent a PM message to him).

Feel sorry for the 1156 screw up. Never force a bulb or a square peg...so to speak. Wonder how that turned out?