Help! Cv Boots Torn And Front Break Lines Cracking

Hey guys, I actually just bought a 96' Lexus ES 300 which I thought was a pretty good deal, only 76K Miles, good condition for $7,000 miles and only one owner.

Problem is I went to get my car inspected and they told me I needed to replace the front break lines because they were cracking, and both cv boots were torn. So I went back to my dealer, and he said that he would do the work as I long as I bought the parts. I have no idea if the outer or inner boots are torn, or if the cv joint is messed up, but I looked on http://www.carpartswholesale.com and saw that I could get remanufactured Axle shaft assemblies for $60 each, but I don't think they come with the boots. basically I am thinking of replacing the whole Axle on each side...but I don't know what parts I need.

What do I need to be on the safe side? Two Exle shaft assemblies and then two outer and inner boots, and two front break lines? Please help guys...Thanks in advance.

Mike

Hang on. . . Let's take the problems apart here.

1. Axles goes bad if you hear the bearings making noise while driving. If not, no need to replace. Just add lubricate when replace the CV boots. Need axles will come with new CV boots.

2. CV boots can be replaced without having to remove the axles. You can do this yourself. About $20 each. If you do replace the axles, you need to do an alignment afterward. Also, you will need to refill the transmission fluid because the fluid will rush out when the axles are removed.

3. Front break lines. . replace if needed. It also means your the brakes need to be bled out afterward.

Thanks for the Reply!

I guess I just figure if I'm getting the work done for free, should I just spend an extra $60 each and buy new axles? or should I just stick with replacing the torn boots? I don't hear any clicking, but I fear that the cv joint may be getting bad as well. Thanks

Mike

why would the car need to be aligned after changing the axles???

also on this design trans the axles bolt on and you won't lose any fluid if removed.

as for changing them on the car...we only do this when necessary. its a huge pain in the !Removed!. just pull them out and replace them on the bench. not only is it easier, the job turns out better.