On 400h Do The Lights Turn With You?

quesiton to the 400h owners, i know the lights are suppose to turn with you, but on mine, only the left light turns with me when i turn left, but when i go right, the right light never moves. is that how its suppose to be?

quesiton to the 400h owners, i know the lights are suppose to turn with you, but on mine, only the left light turns with me when i turn left, but when i go right, the right light never moves. is that how its suppose to be?

It doesn't go right as far as it goes left, so it may not be as obvious. The lexus website has a flashplayer demo that explains it better than I can. Also it only moves when you are above a certain speed, so slower (generally ;) right turns my not trigger the swivel action.

Not only do they turn, they also adjust and level themselves when you turn then on. You can see it happen if you turn on the lights and you are facing a wall.

Trivia They had turning headlights back in the 1930's, my friends father had a 1933 Cadillac that had headlights that turned.

15 degree turn for the left, and only 5 degree turn for the right. It turns very little, barely noticeable, but it still does just a bit.

this is because that pillar isnt in the way like it is on the left hand side. you should be able to see around a bend perfectly fine on a right turn because your on the left hand side. lol

keep in mind this is the first generation of adaptive lights on the lexus cars. on newer models, like the IS, and the LS, both sides of the headlights turn 15 degrees.

as for the speed, i believe the speed level is 5 mph. It will not turn under that speed.

• 2 weeks later...

I brought this up at my last (only) 2 dealer services, that the right wasn't working like the left was. Both times, when I picked it up, they said they had checked it, it was working fine, and there where no error codes.

This last time (15,000 checkup), I was angry, and said "I don't notice it, yet you keep telling me it works fine. Did anyone actually take it out on the road and check it?"

They said they had, and it works fine. That was all they told me.

NOW, in a forum, I finally know the reason why it works fine, yet I don't notice it. I would have hoped the dealer's mechanics would have explained it to me. If they had, I wouldn't have gotten angry with them.

I feel they should turn 15-20 degrees in -each- direction, as it's just as valuable to see to the right on a winding road in the dark as it is to see to the left. However, at least now I know it's a design flaw, not a malfunction, so I can live with it.

Thank you for explaining this point. I thought I was going nuts.

Doug

• 4 weeks later...
I brought this up at my last (only) 2 dealer services, that the right wasn't working like the left was. Both times, when I picked it up, they said they had checked it, it was working fine, and there where no error codes.

This last time (15,000 checkup), I was angry, and said "I don't notice it, yet you keep telling me it works fine. Did anyone actually take it out on the road and check it?"

They said they had, and it works fine. That was all they told me.

NOW, in a forum, I finally know the reason why it works fine, yet I don't notice it. I would have hoped the dealer's mechanics would have explained it to me. If they had, I wouldn't have gotten angry with them.

I feel they should turn 15-20 degrees in -each- direction, as it's just as valuable to see to the right on a winding road in the dark as it is to see to the left. However, at least now I know it's a design flaw, not a malfunction, so I can live with it.

Thank you for explaining this point. I thought I was going nuts.

Doug

It's not a design flaw, it's to ensure oncoming vehicles in the right hand lane are not illuminated. The same standards that dictate how a road should be illuminated with headlamps limit the amount of right hand sweep.

Not sure I understand. Oncoming vehicles are on the -left- side, at least here in the US.

1. Moving headlamps -left- would illuminate oncoming traffic more than not moving them, which it often does.

2. Normal Low-beam headlamps shouldn't pose a problem to oncoming traffic.

3. Whether or not headlamps move right, oncoming traffic would still be illuminated during a right curve.

It would seem to me that moving headlights to the right would help to keep them illuminating the right side of the road, which is my lane of traffic. I would think that's more desirable than not moving them at all.

Doug

Not sure I understand. Oncoming vehicles are on the -left- side, at least here in the US.

1. Moving headlamps -left- would illuminate oncoming traffic more than not moving them, which it often does.

2. Normal Low-beam headlamps shouldn't pose a problem to oncoming traffic.

3. Whether or not headlamps move right, oncoming traffic would still be illuminated during a right curve.

It would seem to me that moving headlights to the right would help to keep them illuminating the right side of the road, which is my lane of traffic. I would think that's more desirable than not moving them at all.

Doug

My bad. Expat Kiwi living in USA who obviously still dreams about driving on the left side of the road. There is an answer and I will continue to investigate.