Eibach Springs

Are people installing these springs with stock shocks? How did they affect the turn ratio of the car? For people who have these springs, did they improve your handling and overall performance or are they just for looks. Do anyone know of any good aftermarket shocks for the IS?

Are people installing these springs with stock shocks? How did they affect the turn ratio of the car? For people who have these springs, did they improve your handling and overall performance or are they just for looks. Do anyone know of any good aftermarket shocks for the IS?

Eibach pro-set is designed to work with the stock shocks, and handling is improved. Why would you think it would effect the turn ratio? Although don't understand this term, perhaps you meant 'turn radius'? Either way it wouldn't be effected by lowering unless of course you have aftermarket wheels that are overtyred or have incorrect offset so they rub the bodywork.

There are other aftermarket springs and coilovers available as well as shock absorbers, but the OEM shocks are fine.

Sorry, I meant turn radius. I had an RSX with H&R springs and they really changed it. Anyway my main concern was that the stock suspension is tuned for optimal performance and any changes would affect it negatively. Also, is there an issue with Eibach springs sagging over time? Thanks.

Sorry, I meant turn radius. I had an RSX with H&R springs and they really changed it. Anyway my main concern was that the stock suspension is tuned for optimal performance and any changes would affect it negatively. Also, is there an issue with Eibach springs sagging over time? Thanks.

Depends what you mean by optimal performance. IMO the OEM set up is a compromise between handling/roadholding performance and comfort. The Eibachs are slighter stiffer and progressive loading, as well as being slightly lower (1.4" drop front and 1" rear with the 250 spec but less for the 350 which is already lower than the 250). Overall the Eibachs are designed to work with the OEM shocks to give a bias toward better handling performance rather than comfort, so if this is what you mean by negative effect than you're right.

Why do you think the Eibachs sag? This would only occur if the temper went out of the coils, pretty unlikely unless your car catches fire :whistles: When first fitted all springs will settle until they reach their optimum position in accordance to suspension loading and spring seating. The same applies to OEM and other aftermarket springs.

The American spec Eibachs I have on my 250 in the UK took less than a week to settle in to their final position. We measured the full geometry on the car before we fitted the springs, after fitment and again after a further 2000 miles. The second generation IS doesn't have camber or castor adjustment, just front and rear toe adjustment, so expect to see around 1.4 degrees of negative camber after fitting the lowering springs.

I've attached the last readout for the geometry for my car, including the corner weighting. The positions shown have proven to be optimum for handling in it's current state without adverse tire wear. The OEM settings have proven to wear the inner edges of the tires, just as they did for the first generation IS.

aragogeometry080707pp8.jpg

Shot at 2007-07-18