Overheating

I have a 1994 Es 300 w/ 232,000 miles. Recently started having overheating problems. Mechanic is leaning towards head gasget. I was reading the forum & someone mentioned that they had a bad relay, I opened the relay box & there was NO relay at all for fan 1. Is this possible would the fan still come on because it does run. Could this be an act of a dishonest mechanic? I also saw numerous posts suggesting that the fan speed be checked, mine does seem slow & no matter how hot it gets I have never noticed the speed change. There is a very distinct noise that when I hear it I know to watch my temp gage because it always rises shortly after I hear it, the best I can describe the noise is low pitched growl like something is laboring under the hood. 3 yrs ago 2 diff temp sensors, radiater, timing belt, water pump all replaced.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated, financially worst time for this to happen. I do love this car though & would love for it to hang in there for another year or two!

There is no relay. The fan is hydraulic.

Check the fan, radiator (pressure test), thermostat & pressure cap.

For the headgasket. Warm the engine up & check the compression / do a leak-down test.

All of that has been done, what is your opinion about the fan speed issue? Should I have my mechanic check that? What is a leak down test, my mechanic has checked the compression the last 3 times I took it in, he feels there is a pin hole in gasget.