Fuel Mileage Display

togi1

Hello, can anyone tell me what is happening with my car? I have a 2006 ES330 with 30k on it. I bought it 8 months ago with 12k on it and whenever I used to fill up the gas tank the fuel mileage display would indicate I should get 300 miles from that tank full of gas. Now its telling me I will only get 286 miles from a tank full of gas. What is this computer reading that is telling it to report this lower mileage? What needs to be done to get back to more fuel mileage?

Thank you

togi1

Two things come to mind. One: You seem to be getting much less range than I would expect your car to get. My wife's 04 ES 330 has a longer range than yours, even though its measured in km here in Canada. As such, even when I do the conversion back to miles you are at least 75 miles shorter than I can calculate the car to be capable of. Two: I wonder if this because your car's computer has learned how you drive, into the accelerator quite a bit I suspect, and has calculated a correct end result based on how hard you drive. The engine, the transmission, and I suspect your trip computer, all learn how you drive and set your tranny shift points, etc. accordingly. To reset all of these back to their starting point, simply disconnect the battery from the car overnight. When reconnected the tranny, the engine and maybe the trip computer as well (this is only a guess on my behalf) should all reset themselves back to their original factory specs. Maybe you'll see a difference in your range estimates then. If not, this is a problem for your Lexus dealer to get to the bottom of. My comments are all based on assuming that your car is in good repair, with correct tire pressures, no brake drag, etc. Good Luck!