Key Won't Turn In Ignition...

rachelgav

I recently purchased a 2000 Lexus RX300, and drove it for two weeks with no problems. Today I accidentally placed the key to my other Lexus into the RX300's ignition, and then realized it was the wrong key and went to get the correct one. The correct key will not turn in the ignition at all. We have 2 keys for the RX300 that worked perfectly for the past 2 weeks and now will not turn when placed in the ignition. What could be the problem? The remote to lock/unlock the doors works, but neither key will turn in the ignition. The car makes a low hissing-type noise when the key is first placed in, which stops after about 20 seconds or so. I tried turning the steering wheel, as well, but now the steering wheel is completely locked up, too.

Thank you for any help! If this has happened to you, what did you do to fix it/is it a very costly repair?

I recently purchased a 2000 Lexus RX300, and drove it for two weeks with no problems. Today I accidentally placed the key to my other Lexus into the RX300's ignition, and then realized it was the wrong key and went to get the correct one. The correct key will not turn in the ignition at all. We have 2 keys for the RX300 that worked perfectly for the past 2 weeks and now will not turn when placed in the ignition. What could be the problem? The remote to lock/unlock the doors works, but neither key will turn in the ignition. The car makes a low hissing-type noise when the key is first placed in, which stops after about 20 seconds or so. I tried turning the steering wheel, as well, but now the steering wheel is completely locked up, too.

Thank you for any help! If this has happened to you, what did you do to fix it/is it a very costly repair?

Common problem.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...l=lock+cylinder

Common problem.

Yes, I read that post & one at Club Lexus, but none of the suggestions worked and as far as I remember, the only solution was one person having the dealer replace all of their locks (fortunately for that person, they were under warranty, but my car isn't); I don't think the other said how they resolved the issue. I'm going to call a locksmith tomorrow to see if they can do anything about it. :(

hmm yeah this happend with my old RX300. Its a real shame. However, i did not put the wrong key in, it was because my key was so frayed from so many uses that it thought it was a different key. Thank god that your alarm isnt going off right now like mine did in the middle of downtown SF.

I had my car towed to Lexus where it was changed under warranty. Its a costly thing too...so prepare youself for that.

Common problem.

Yes, I read that post & one at Club Lexus, but none of the suggestions worked and as far as I remember, the only solution was one person having the dealer replace all of their locks (fortunately for that person, they were under warranty, but my car isn't); I don't think the other said how they resolved the issue. I'm going to call a locksmith tomorrow to see if they can do anything about it. :(

The RX is overly sensitive to having the wrong key inserted. This has happened to others before. There were a couple of suggestions in past posts of tapping the lock, wiggling the key, using WD40 etc. If none of these work one solution is to have it towed to the dealer who will usually change the ignition lock and then change all the others so the key matches. I think others have paid around $800 for this.

I had the same thing happen to my Olds Alero. Only I didn't insert a wrong key. It just failed. Here is my experience, which may help you. I called a couple of the larger locksmith ads in the yellow pages that advertise they do all automotive ignitions. They all said $500 to $600 and could do it that day or next. What I did realize is that most of these ads with local numbers are actually national brokers who farm the work out to a local guy. I already knew the dealer would need to tow it in and get over $600 for the job from reading posts on Alero/GrandAm forums. I then went to my local locksmith who doesn't do automotive work. He gave me name of a local guy he uses for all auto work. This guy came to the house next day and was done in a little over an hour at a cost of $370. He also was able to key the new lock cylinder to use my existing keys, something the dealer can't do without a locksmith or changing all the locks. It was a fairly complex job getting the lock cylinder out.

I talked to the nearby dealership today, and they suggested the WD40 routine, but I just tried that once and it really is not budging at all. I doubt that is going to work but I'll try it once more later, I guess. I also tried to call two locksmiths today; one said that they could send a guy down to "try" to do it, for $75, but nothing was guaranteed. The other said that they can't do it. I'll have to check the yellow pages once more but thanks for the help! I read someone else's experience with having the dealer change all of the locks and luckily for them, they didn't have to pay because of the warranty. What an expensive mistake to make! Whenever this gets solved I'll let you know how it went just in case someone else runs into this problem, which hopefully they won't because it's ridiculous. :chairshot:

I talked to the nearby dealership today, and they suggested the WD40 routine, but I just tried that once and it really is not budging at all. I doubt that is going to work but I'll try it once more later, I guess. I also tried to call two locksmiths today; one said that they could send a guy down to "try" to do it, for $75, but nothing was guaranteed. The other said that they can't do it. I'll have to check the yellow pages once more but thanks for the help! I read someone else's experience with having the dealer change all of the locks and luckily for them, they didn't have to pay because of the warranty. What an expensive mistake to make! Whenever this gets solved I'll let you know how it went just in case someone else runs into this problem, which hopefully they won't because it's ridiculous. :chairshot:

When you are doing the WD40 routine try tapping on the key with the handle of a medium sized screwdriver. It worked for others.

I did the exact same thing.... stuck our ES300 key in the RX, and then the ignition switch locked when I put the RX key back in. I wiggled it and jiggled it, but to no avail... then my wife tried a few wiggles and jiggles and voila!! It's works like normal now. She says it just needed a femine touch ^_^

I would follow with Mikey00's suggestion of the tapping with the screwdriver (lightly). It seems the wafers get stuck, and from what I've found (and read), if you just keep tapping and wiggling, they'll come free... just be patient and have a soft touch.

Let us know if/when you get it loose.

• 6 years later...

I know these posts are old but just got my Lexus LX300 to unlock. Sprayed DW40 three times then kept giggling the key gently and tapping gently on the outside of the key hole. Last time put the key in giggled it and while I was turning it moved the steering wheel slightly and it moved car is running and saved tons of money. Hope this helps someone but took a while like 20 to 30 minutes. Good luck.